I hate to even ask it but... huge bubble

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lauralei

Post by Lauralei »

I know ! ridiculous.... yes it has holes.. 2, they are at opposite points on a circle about 3 1/2 " away from dead center -AND in the rim vertical face. I checked them and poked my little bamboo stick in both of them and didn't have to kiln wash it the 2nd time - so little chance of debris getting in there anyway? But I did, like Steve, said take the blasted plate out then put it back in - I'm sure in a different - but level - position to refire! drat!

yes - I'm sure I was bad... and it's quite cloudy... If I want'd to specialize in growing these things - I'm sure I coudn't do it!

This is terminal isn't it? I see no feasable way to save it, but I hoped to learn from the little science experiment ! and remove it from my repertoire, sigh
Lauralei
Lauralei

Post by Lauralei »

oh yes,,, and it was directly on the shelf - bad idea?
Lauralei
Brock

Post by Brock »

Lauralei wrote:oh yes,,, and it was directly on the shelf - bad idea?
Not necessarily. It's only a bad idea if the vent hole is blocked by the shelf. but your mold has holes bottom and sides so that air forced out from underneath your glass vents through the holes in the side.

Yeah, it''s terminal, but unique.

Pretend that's what you wanted.

Astound your friends. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Lauralei

Post by Lauralei »

so in summary - what should I have done differently - since it was no big curve to begin with ... just refired it and let it flatten ? would it have? and thanks again for the insight...
Lauralei
Brock

Post by Brock »

Lauralei wrote:so in summary - what should I have done differently - since it was no big curve to begin with ... just refired it and let it flatten ? would it have? and thanks again for the insight...
I've reslumped some pieces with bubbles, it just depends if the bubble has either:

a) Stretched the glass - not good

b) distorted your design - also not good

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I agree with Brock. Guessing that you had side vent holes and they got plugged, probably with the glass you were slumping, and it blew the very nicely shaped bubble. I think it's an overfire, and if so you can drop a good 30 degrees or more and get a good slump without bubbles, but it may come at the expense of maturing the paint. If you have to go that hot, try drilling a hole or three in the center of the form. I actually like the bowl like it is. Good luck