food warmers to dry out plaster molds

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Ted Metz

food warmers to dry out plaster molds

Post by Ted Metz »

I am new to glass but not to scavenging. I recently scored a large food warmer from a cafeteria and am using it to dry out plaster/silica molds for kiln casting. This thing is an insulated stainless steel warmer that is bigger than a refrigerator, has adjustable rack shelves, a timer, and recirculates air at 168 degrees. It works great. You folks probably already know all about these food warmers but just in case...
I also scored a large gas fired hamburger grill (24"X36") that I will use as my heat source for a lost wax steam out system. Sorry if this is all old news.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i think that classifies as a bonified tool gloat. lol rosanna
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Implicit in Ted's gloat is the fact that he has room in his studio for all of this stuff. How annoying. Good score though, Ted - DonWithBookGloatToday
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

so, db. whatcha gloating about? rosanna
Bert Weiss

Re: food warmers to dry out plaster molds

Post by Bert Weiss »

ted metz wrote:I am new to glass but not to scavenging. I recently scored a large food warmer from a cafeteria and am using it to dry out plaster/silica molds for kiln casting. This thing is an insulated stainless steel warmer that is bigger than a refrigerator, has adjustable rack shelves, a timer, and recirculates air at 168 degrees. It works great. You folks probably already know all about these food warmers but just in case...
I also scored a large gas fired hamburger grill (24"X36") that I will use as my heat source for a lost wax steam out system. Sorry if this is all old news.
Ted

I think you need to devise a way to let the moisture vent and escape to optimize the unit.

The traditional steamer is made with a pressure cooker. You direct the steal out of the top to a flexible tube and melt out the wax with it.

I would keep the grill and cook burgers. I just got a 12" x 30" grill as part of a commercial range in my kitchen, under a hood, and I love it.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

rosanna gusler wrote:so, db. whatcha gloating about? rosanna
A book over in spab's place.

Also am gloating because I'm on vacation for a week. Get to work on my Christmas suncatchers, carve my pumpkins for halloween (my primary talent and real reason I have been allowed to survive and not be struck down by lightning) and sleep in. No staring at a damn computer monitor all day....well, not all day.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

you go! wallow in it i say. rosanna
Ted Metz

Post by Ted Metz »

Hi all, computer problems and a little travel have kept me from responding. The tool gloat was not my intention. I figured that all restaurants and cafeterias have these things and that there can't be much of a resale market, therefore they could be had cheaply. I find that it works very well and just wanted to share the information. I appreciate Bert's recommendation that I vent the unit to maximize the drying. Do you think just some holes at the door top will allow proper venting?

As far as the grill as a heat source for a steam out unit, I have used the oil drum steam out as described in Henry Halem's book and have found it very effective. The molds are getting larger thus the need for a larger steam out unit.

I am very new to cast glass. I have kiln cast several pieces in a couple of kilns and am still waiting to open the lid. The molds were 6" thick so I selected an annealing schedule based on 6" thick glass. I am using Bullseye cullet and they recommended a 21 day anneal, Graham Stone would do it in 15 days and Libensky would do the same in about 9 days.
I am certainly confused. I
Ted Metz

Post by Ted Metz »

Hi all, computer problems and a little travel have kept me from responding. The tool gloat was not my intention. I figured that all restaurants and cafeterias have these things and that there can't be much of a resale market, therefore they could be had cheaply. I find that it works very well and just wanted to share the information. I appreciate Bert's recommendation that I vent the unit to maximize the drying. Do you think just some holes at the door top will allow proper venting?

As far as the grill as a heat source for a steam out unit, I have used the oil drum steam out as described in Henry Halem's book and have found it very effective. The molds are getting larger, thus the need for a larger steam out unit.

I am very new to cast glass. I have kiln cast several pieces in a couple of kilns and am still waiting to open the lid. The molds were 6" thick so I selected an annealing schedule based on 6" thick glass. I am using Bullseye cullet and they recommended a 21 day anneal, Graham Stone would do it in 15 days and Libensky would do the same in about 9 days.
I am certainly confused. I choose the longer Bullseye schedule but even without experience feel this is conservative. I am a sculptor and figure that my work will probably just get thicker. I would appreciate any suggestions on the schedules.
Thanks, Ted Metz
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

can't help you on the annealing schedule but i can clear up your tool gloat guilt. a tool gloat is a good thing. rosanna
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

rosanna gusler wrote:can't help you on the annealing schedule but i can clear up your tool gloat guilt. a tool gloat is a good thing. rosanna
Tool gloat guilt. Tool gloat guilt, Tool gloat guilt.

Its not that difficult.

Peggy Babcock, Peggy Babcock, Peggy Babcock.

is still more difficult to say.