STRIP CUTTER

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

I've used a modified version of the Morton system for a number of years, and have been pleased with it. The modification consisted of using 2 large Morton surfaces (later a large alumimum grid with 1/2" holes) and a bar long enough to go all the way across the grid. I made my long bar out of a piece of aluminum stock, milled straight and flat on both long edges and with a hole drilled in the exact center of the bar at one end. If you opt for using two or more Morton surfaces, you'll need an adjustable way to hold all the surfaces in alignment. Mine sit in a channel so they're flush with the benchtop, and small wooden wedges hold the surfaces tightly and aligned with each other. If you get a big piece of aluminum or plastic grid--I salvaged mine from elevator ceiling fixtures--you can place it on a piece of frosted 1/4" float, light it from below and have a big light table, too.
charlie

Post by charlie »

you can get cheap plastic grid in home depot in the lighting department. comes in 2'x4' panels.
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

From an idea that I got from "Famous" Marty, I have been working with a manufacturer designing a strip cutter. He has a tool that has a bar that is long enough for the glass sheet to go under. I told him about a strip cutter that I saw at Marty's that then slides along the bar and then cuts the glass. The benefit of this is, you can then slide your glass and then score again. You can move the glass for as many scores as you want without stopping to make a break or even to change the cutting head. Then when you finish your scores you can start breaking at each score.

It should be out later this month from the last info that I heard. I will most more info when it is out.

Stuart