jump rings

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

meltdown

jump rings

Post by meltdown »

Does anyone know where I can find jump rings or some sort of continuous ring in high temp wire? It would be so nice to not have to make these things everytime I need them.....Thanks.. :lol:
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Did you ever think about making them yourself? I make jump rings all the time by winding the wire around something like a pencil or what ever is about the size I want. Just snip one off as you need it. Works for me. Nanc
Nanc
meltdown

Post by meltdown »

Nanc....yes, I have been making them but they are really hard to get uniform sizes....I just wondered if they were for sale anywhere in larger quantities.....thanks...
gone

Post by gone »

I bought a 22 ga nichrome coil from a heating supply store on the internet. MOR Electric, I think. You can cut rings from it with wire cutters and bend them slightly so the ends match up.

Els
Diane Trepanier

Post by Diane Trepanier »

Knitting needles make good, long dowels to wind wire on for jump rings. Lots of different sizes. Just put the pointed end in the chuck of a drill, stick the wire in between the teeth of the chuck and guide the wire with one hand, while holding the drill with the other hand on a table, chair arm, etc. Start the drill on slow and speed up as you get the hang of it. I have wound 3 ounces of 18 g. wire in less than 15 minutes. You end up with long coils, then cut off what you need. Fast and easy.
Diane Trepanier
Solfyre
Designer, glass, wire, beads, etc.
meltdown

Post by meltdown »

Diane....what a great idea with the drill....had not thought of that...duh!!!1
I will definitely do that from now on...you are a lifesaver!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Diane Trepanier

Post by Diane Trepanier »

You are welcome! I work with wire and make jewelry besides fusing glass. Any time i can think of a way of doing something with a power tool, I go for it. Saves time and wear and tear on my hands and wrists. Have fun!
Diane Trepanier
Solfyre
Designer, glass, wire, beads, etc.