steel blue coated with a film when fused

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

river

steel blue coated with a film when fused

Post by river »

I was just fusing with Bullseye 0146-30 steel blue opalescent. I was making barrettes and when I tack fused another color to the steel blue, in my kiln, it came out coated with a silver film:? Does anyone know why? I know certain colors if combined will change color, but this coating thing has never happened to me before. The other colored barrettes (not steel blue) that I was fusing at the same time, turned our great, but the 5 steel blue turned out coated. I only tack fused it (less that 1500 degrees). Also, I do mess around with PMC, but the kiln shelf was freshly sanded and kiln washed.
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

The silver coating is the nature of BE steel blue. Anytime you get over about 1300f with it the silver shows up. Coat with an overspray to seal the surface and keep the blue.

Lots in the old archive about steel blue.

Ron
Kelly Burke Makuch

STEEL BLUE GONE SILVER

Post by Kelly Burke Makuch »

You can wrap your piece in fiberpaper or sandblast the finished piece. You can also, as suggusted, overspray it. For more suggustions, check archives.
gone

Post by gone »

I have found the only way to keep the blue is to clear cap it. Overglaze will produce a shinier silver, in my experience. The silver can be very beautiful and can be used as part of the design. It tends to occur most at slumping temps and I've also discovered that the effect varies from sheet to sheet.

Els
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

It;s the nature of the beast. It's a fabulous glass to play with to achieve different effects. Sometimes when refired it goes back to the original blue. Capping or using SuperSpray will keep it blue. Try playing with it to expoit that silver finish. You can get some really nice results.
ianj

Post by ianj »

Rather intriguingly I've only noticed the silver-shift of 0146F at slumping temperatures of 680C. At the first full fuse temp of 815C the glass retains its original colouring - does the shift only work as the glass passes through a certain temp range as appears to be the case? :?
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

ShadowMan wrote:Rather intriguingly I've only noticed the silver-shift of 0146F at slumping temperatures of 680C. At the first full fuse temp of 815C the glass retains its original colouring - does the shift only work as the glass passes through a certain temp range as appears to be the case? :?
If you lower your fusing temp to about 785 c (1450 f) the color may keep. It tends to disappear at higher temperatures.

Ron