fast slump

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

fast slump

Post by slats »

I need to slump as many wine bottles as possible and I need a good and fast schedule for getting smooth bottles quickly. Can any slumpers help me out here............... :lol:
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

I have fired 12 at a time, four each on three 5/8" mullite shelves in a Paragon A99 ceramic kiln, 23"wide by 27" tall inside. The bottom shelf is 3" above the kiln bottom and each of the other shelves is 7" above the one below it. I fire at 300F per hour to 700F then afap to 1525 and shut off to cool naturally. This schedule gives me smoothly flattened bottles with the bottom nearly level with the rest of the bottle. Bottles with the long skinny neck and a fast transition to a cylindrical shape always trap a bubble of air in the transition area while those with a more gradual taper to the neck seem to trap less air between the layers of glass.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
slats

slump

Post by slats »

Thanks Tom............wish I had a bigger kiln to do 12 at one firing. I noticed that certain bottles always came out with a slight bubble while others are so smooth....now I know why. Much thanks....Ill give your schedule a try!