Variegated red

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Brad Walker
Site Admin

Variegated red

Post by Brad Walker »

Anyone know exactly what combination of metals makes up variegated red? I know there's copper in there, but what else?
Brock

Re: Variegated red

Post by Brock »

Brad Walker wrote:Anyone know exactly what combination of metals makes up variegated red? I know there's copper in there, but what else?
Not a clue! But I wish they made it in foil. I've been working with it all day, and it tears and curls SO much more than foils. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Yeah, I've got a bunch of leaf, it fires a gorgeous blue (now why does something called variegated red fire to blue????)

By the way, I'm also playing with variegated green and variegated black -- they are similar, except less vivid blue and more black. I suspect the black is aluminum, and would imagine there's a little silver in there also. If I could get a recipe from somewhere, I'd try to make something a little thicker.
Dani

Post by Dani »

Have you tried posting on a jewelry/metalsmithing board? Artists who work in Japanese metal blends like mokume gane could probably advise you ... also about milling the sheets to desired thickness.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Dani wrote:Have you tried posting on a jewelry/metalsmithing board? Artists who work in Japanese metal blends like mokume gane could probably advise you ... also about milling the sheets to desired thickness.
Good idea about posting on a metalsmithing board, I'll try that.

This isn't an isue of milling, as far as I can tell the material's only available in leaf, not in sheets. If I could find sheets, I'd be home free.
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Sounds like it's copper or a copper alloy, aka "brass"

http://www.goldreverre.com/technique/gildingleaf.html

Try a little torch work on thin copper and see what happens, greens, purples,reds blues. Too much heat and "poof" it's gone
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

You're right, it's definitely an alloy with copper, just trying to figure out how what I need to mix with the copper to make some sheets of it.
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »