wet belt sanders

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bonita (Nita) Crawford

wet belt sanders

Post by Bonita (Nita) Crawford »

Hi, Glass Friends,

I know nothing about wet belt sanders and have never even seen one.
However, I believe I need one now. I took Roger Thomas' two classes
right after WGW. Today, I took from my kiln a 14 inch scene, 5/8"thick. I am really excited about it. Everything looks perfect except for the fact that there are sharp projections along the bottom edges of the back of
the piece.

Never had a course in cold finishing. Need that, too. If, indeed, a wet
belt sander is what I need, where would I look for it, how much should
I expect to pay for it, and what is the best kind to buy? Have already
called Harbor Freight, and they do not carry them.

Thanks for your help.

Nita
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Bee Manufacturing, sold through CR Laurence. It is the green free standing one. Probably cost about $1500 or so with shipping, starting belts, etc. Next to my kilns, the one tool I use every day.

Phil
Brock

Post by Brock »

Phil Hoppes wrote:Bee Manufacturing, sold through CR Laurence. It is the green free standing one. Probably cost about $1500 or so with shipping, starting belts, etc. Next to my kilns, the one tool I use every day.

Phil
Ditto for Avery, Jackie, Marty, and moi! Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Bonita (Nita) Crawford

Thanks, friends, for all your input. If others have info or want to sell
a wet belt sander, please let me hear from you.

BTW, Brock, where do you get those cool Pyrex rod "feet for your large
sushi dishes? I've been looking for something like that for a long time.

Thanks,
Nita
Brock

Post by Brock »

BTW, Brock, where do you get those cool Pyrex rod "feet for your large
sushi dishes? I've been looking for something like that for a long time.

Any scientific glassblowing company.

Winship Designs in Eugene, OR and CA.
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Brock do you know of any used equipment places in Vancouver that might have a decent wet belt sander for sale?
Amy
Brock

Post by Brock »

Nope. They don't come up for sale very often, but it does happen. Brock
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

I like the Somaca but I think it's pretty close to a Bee.

Sometimes Somaca has used ones.

http://www.somaca.com/

Jack
judith

Post by judith »

Brock wrote:
Phil Hoppes wrote:Bee Manufacturing, sold through CR Laurence. It is the green free standing one. Probably cost about $1500 or so with shipping, starting belts, etc. Next to my kilns, the one tool I use every day.

Phil
and all the folks who work and play at Vitrum....

judith
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Bonita-Wouldn't hurt to check with some local window glass shops. I've found that often when their old belt sanders rust out, they just stick them in the back for parts, or because they seem too valuable to throw out. You might be able to get one locally at a good price if you are able and willing to put some work into it. The bigger mfrs. mentioned in previous posts have parts depts. that will not only supply you with parts, but help you figure out which you need. Good luck.
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

Bonita, there have been earlier threads about wet belt sanders. Some posters have not been happy with smaller units. However you should be aware that there are smaller wet belt sanders using 3" x 41 1/2" belts instead of the 4" x 106" belts on the machines others have suggested in this thread. These sell for less than $600 at Kingsley- North model 1-0927 http://search.cartserver.com/search/sea ... r&go=GO%21
It all depends on your budget and the size and number of pieces you will be using the sander to finish.

Having said that about wet belt sanders I must confess to having sanded many needled pieces on my small (1' x30") Delta woodworking belt sander. These are available for around $100 at woodworking suppliers or home center stores. I do use it dry with the dust pickup attached to a shop vacuum while wearing a respirator in an area set aside for it alone because of the dust it can produce. A worn 120 grit belt will leave just a slightly dull line where it touches the glass. The same sander is used to lightly seam the edges of almost all the glass I cut before scrubbing it at the sink with Bon Ami and a white scrubbing pad. Most of my glass is recycled and needs a good scrubbing befori it can go in the kiln. Seaming the edges makes the scrubbing pad last at least twice as long as it did without doing it.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Sorry can't help with info on new belt sanders, but here, the local window glass supplier garage was open and there in front of me was a beautiful brand new water fed belt sander, I thought I was in heaven. I asked if I could have a look at it and who was the manufacturer and why had they bought a new one. Ah, Mike said the old one has packed up, needs a new motor and starter switch, oh what a shame says I, would you be willing to sell it? Yes says Mike, £20 and it was mine! Thanks to friends and a bit more money it is now running. Except for new belts which are about 126 inches, and there lies my problem does any one know if it is possible to buy single belts as opposed to packs of 10? I cannot find them in England but I’m hoping they may be available in US.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Brock wrote:

Phil
Brock, how "messy" is this sander? Does it spray water/grit all over? I read the thread on the covington, and Cynthia says you should use that one in the bathtub naked because it is so messy! :shock: Does the Bee need shielding? I have checked out the specs, but a real life user would know all the details of actual in-place use and mess! :)
Chip
Micah 6.8
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

It's my personal belief that any cold working equipment is messy and loud. Idealy you would have a separate room, away from the kilns, to cold work in.

Amy
Brock

Post by Brock »

Chip wrote:
Brock wrote:

Phil
Brock, how "messy" is this sander? Does it spray water/grit all over? I read the thread on the covington, and Cynthia says you should use that one in the bathtub naked because it is so messy! :shock: Does the Bee need shielding? I have checked out the specs, but a real life user would know all the details of actual in-place use and mess! :)
The newer models have an extendable sleeve that can be adjusted to cover most of the exposed belt at the front of the machine, Water, (and I'm afraid, fine glass particles) still drift around though. Expect the floor to be wet where your machine is placed. It's still worth it! Brock
Chip

Post by Chip »

Thanks Brock! As long as no bathtub and streaking are needed, it's a go! :)

And I know the Canadian Thanksgiving was last month, so here's to you and all others on this board. I give thanks for all of you.
Chip
Micah 6.8
Bonita (Nita) Crawford

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Glass Friends,

Thank you for your help concerning my need for a wet belt sander.
The Bible says "You have not because you ask not." I asked one
man in person about a wet belt sander, and he gave me one free!!

It's a Sinclair, and it is ready to go. As soon as I feed my family
on Thanksgiving and have my largest show of the year the day
after, I look forward to learning to use it. Apparently, I should
plan to put it outside instead of in the room where I have my other
"wet" equipment.

I wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving. I, for one, have so much to
be grateful for - and all of you are included in my reasons for giving
thanks.

Warmly,
Nita

P.S. Chip, thanks for the reminder.
judith

Post by judith »

Congratulations, Nita,
and it couldn't have happened to a nicer person. Feed the family, enjoy the show, then finish the edge on your beautiful koi bowls! So much fun to look forward to..........and so much joy to bring to others.

Happy holiday,

judith
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I had often wondered after seeing pictures of commercial wet belt sanders, if they were good at water control. My homemade unit is not messy and does not leave puddles of water, maybe I should go into the
wet belt sander business.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Bruce wrote:I had often wondered after seeing pictures of commercial wet belt sanders, if they were good at water control. My homemade unit is not messy and does not leave puddles of water, maybe I should go into the
wet belt sander business.
Maybe you should! Do you have pictures of yours? Brock