Goin to SanFrancisco on Sat (29th) for one week

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kathie Karancz

Goin to SanFrancisco on Sat (29th) for one week

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey everybody: I am going to SanFrancisco for a week and will be doing the normal stuff like Fisherman's Wharf, the Haight, China Town, etc,etc.. Can anybody suggest galleries dealing with glass that are a must to see or even some studios to visit.
Thanks
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
Brock

Post by Brock »

Make sure you have some umbrella drinks in a small neighbourhood bar.

i believe they serve them in glass.

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Boy, Brock..... your quite funny today.
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

well, if you're down at the Wharf, eat lunch at Sabella's #3 -- i draw your attention to their fried LARGE oysters plate for $15. Too divine.

Then walk up to Ghiradelli Square. there are one or two galleries up there that have a lot of glass for sale, featuring among other things rather derivative chihuly stuff, last time i looked (sea forms bowls, that kind of thing). the gallery i am thinking of faces the main plaza at Ghiradelli, it's not upstairs where the small shops are. i forget now if there are one or 2 of them.f

Irish coffee down the street where the trolly car turn-about is, forget the name of the bar, right on the corner. O'Brien's? Good on blustery day.
Kay McConnell

Post by Kay McConnell »

I just returned from San Francisco - LOVE that place! I suggest driving an hour north and touring Napa Valley. It is a must! And eat a meal at the California Culinary Arts school in the old Christian Brothers monastery - their molten chocolate dessert is to die for!
The boat tour of San Francisco harbor is also quite enjoyable - I consider it a "must do" as you get an entirely different view of the Golden Gate bridge and the city. I wouldn't waste my money on the acquarium on Fisherman's Wharf - it was a real waste of money.
If you're adventurous, drive the 3.5 hrs to Yosemite - probably the best part of our trip. Well worth the drive! Big Sur is a couple hours south - also worth the drive - mile after mile of heart-stopping views!
Enjoy! I wish I was going again! Kay
Mira

Post by Mira »

I live about an hour east of S.F. If you're down at the wharf, you must eat at Scomas - Sea food platter, about $35.00 - worth it's weight in gold. They also know how to mix a Cosmo correctly. The fishing boats pull up and you can see them clean the seafood right there - very fresh.

When you leave Scomas, you walk down an alley way. At the end of the alley, cross the street. On that street (which is basically the main drag), there is an awesome glass gallery. It is crammed packed, and you'll worry about bumping something over. Try there. There are also other art galleries that will also have some glass along the way to Ghiradelli's, which is just about a block and a half or so to the south. Can't miss it.

Have a great time!
Mira
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I was just there. Lots of fun. The cable cars are a hoot. Get a 3 day pass. My best food was at Ciopinno's at Fisherman's wharf. It looked sort of commercial but the Ciopinno is great. We shared one for lunch.

I did wine in Sonoma and wended our way back down the coast.

I didn't see glass that impressed me. I went in one glass gallery in Chinatown which pretty much sucked.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Thanks guys:
I can hardly wait. I LOVE SanFrancisco. I will definitely check out everything you guys suggested.
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Alan B

Post by Alan B »

Try going to Compositions Gallery on 317 Sutter Street. They have quite the collection of higher end glass artists. They are located just a couple blocks off Union Square on a street with many other art galleries.

Cheers,

Alan
Marty

Post by Marty »

Brock wrote:Make sure you have some umbrella drinks in a small neighbourhood bar.

Brock
Kathie- ask Brock about the beer he was served in a plastic sippie-cup in a bar in Corning.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Marty wrote:
Brock wrote:Make sure you have some umbrella drinks in a small neighbourhood bar.

Brock
Kathie- ask Brock about the beer he was served in a plastic sippie-cup in a bar in Corning.
I thought that was very nice of the waitress, she didn't even charge me for the beer and I got to take the cup home.

And, another person at the table got to take home beer in her purse.

Bonus!

Now Marty, let's chat about the $27.00 hamburger! Brock
Nancy S

Post by Nancy S »

You're just in time for Berkeley's Annual Open Studios! Will you have a car? It's just across the Bay Bridge. There is a group of women that have a studio http://www.hotflashglass.net and some glass blowers also. Check out http://www.rstrong.com. Email me for more info on what you'd like to see/do/eat/buy.
Nancy
Marty

Post by Marty »

And, another person at the table got to take home beer in her purse.
Now Marty, let's chat about the $27.00 hamburger! Brock[/quote]

Kelly was the lucky one that night!

$27 burger? In Corning?
Brock

Post by Brock »

Marty wrote:And, another person at the table got to take home beer in her purse.
Now Marty, let's chat about the $27.00 hamburger! Brock
Kelly was the lucky one that night!

$27 burger? In Corning?[/quote]

Right Kelly, sorry, forgot her name. No, the burger was at WGW. Brock
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

Plastic cups in Corning? Not at the Glory Hole.

If you like garlic try The Stinking Rose in North Beach.

Jack
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hey Kathie,

For good food try Betelnuts on Union Street.

Cheers,

Bob
SAReed

Post by SAReed »

If you have time, drive south to Monterey and go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. http://www.montereybayaquarium.com/ The Jellies are very interesting. There's a Chihuly exhibit before you enter the Jelly area. It's breathtaking.

For evening entertainment in San Francisco you can't miss Beach Blanket Babylon http://www.beachblanketbabylon.com/. You can then eat dinner at the Stinking Rose, as Jack suggests.
Stacey