Milled Graphite as a Mold?

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Sonje

Milled Graphite as a Mold?

Post by Sonje »

Has anyone tried to use milled graphite as a mold? Can graphite withstand repeated use and 1500F firings?

I would like to make calibrated pieces for jewlery and am not sure which would be the best approach in doing so.

Thanks, Sonje
Brock

Post by Brock »

The consensus seems to be that graphite can take the sudden, intermittent shock of the heat of glassblowing, but the long application of kiln work heat makes it break down. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Milled Graphite as a Mold?

Post by Brad Walker »

Sonje wrote:Can graphite withstand repeated use and 1500F firings?
No. It works fine the first few times, then starts to break down and you end up with a powdery mess.

Graphite is best when you touch the glass briefly at high temps, it doesn't work well when it remains at high temp for longer periods of time.
Sonje

Post by Sonje »

Brock and Brad,

Thanks for the replies. What would be your recommendations then? Clay? Fiberboard-which brand?

Thanks again,
Sonje
Brock

Post by Brock »

My preference is metal. I have 2 stainless steel woks, and a sushi mold made out of 1/4" plate steel. I have various other metal and clay molds but don't seem to use them much. Brock
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Sonje

I would look in to mold mix 6 by Zircar. I'm not sure where you buy it but I do know that it costs less from the glass distributor that sells it than directly from Zircar. For small molds it works well. For larger molds other materials might work better.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
watershed

Post by watershed »

I have seen wonderfull results from HOT CASTING into graphite, then popping the piece, then annealing. I was told by a MFG at GAS, that Graphite starts to break down around 1100degF. It looses cohesion.

If you had a pot/furnace, gather a punty, drop the glass into the graphite, cut it off, torch the tail, flip the mold, anneal the piece. You could do hundreds in a day. The MFG recommended 2-3 molds in rotation.

It provide a very bright clean surface. A wonderfull material if you can work with it's limitations.

Greg
Brock

Post by Brock »

. . . I was told by a MFG at GAS . . .

MFG?

Master of Fine Glass?

Moronic Futile Goon?

Mainly Fair Gentile?

Wha?
watershed

Post by watershed »

Master of Fusible Graphite, you smart a....

Actually Torrance machining, who makes graphite molds for us, and industry. A ManuFacturer of graphite molds. Whence the G came into manufacturer, I have no idea. I'm not an entemologist, and don't ask me about bugs either.

Love Ya

Greg