Advice needed for me teaching a class

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Judd

Advice needed for me teaching a class

Post by Judd »

Ok, please endure me. I know this is more of a stained glass question, but I have been asked to teach a stained glass class, and you guys are the most knowledgeable (and glass is glass), so I thought I'd post it here.

Here's the options I sent to the guy who sent me the request:
For $100.00, each student gets all the materials (glass, etc.) and tools (soldering iron, etc.) and instruction time (this would be 4 hours and would assume there are over 5 students who are interested in the class) to make a small suncatcher. You would send me the money and an exact head count, and I would bring all the glass, tools, etc.

With the Deluxe Package, the students (for a nominal fee of $35 more and approximately 2 hours more of instruction time), will be instructed in how to change their very small suncatcher into a small stained glass window.
For $50.00 per student, I teach approximately a 2.5 to 3 hour class on how to make a suncatcher, and provide in-depth information on how I make windows. For this package, I am the only one who has an iron and supplies, and the students will simply watch and take notes.

The glass and supplies would all come from Hobby Lobby. I estimate $50 for supplies, and $50 per student for myself. So, am I getting screwed or am I cutting this guy's throat?
-Judd

P.S. And, yes, I posted this same question on a few other boards. But, you got first dibs.
Marty

Post by Marty »

#2 is a loser- this is a first class and all they do is watch? Won't happen.
However you arrange it, they must get their mitts on tools and glass in the class, not "you can do this at home later".
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

The students must ABSOLUTELY have to have something to take home.
Jim
sadiesjewels

Post by sadiesjewels »

I teach a beginners fusing class ... it has been carefully worked out over a period of time ... so I'm not about to divulge all the sccrets to you here!

However, I'm not sure I understand your format ...

Of course you seem to be covering stained glass of which I have no knowledge, but in our first class the students fuse two basic small pieces after first covering safety and compatibility of different glasses ...

Generally the class is 4 weeks with 2 1/2 hours a week - the pieces are available for pickup the following day ... (they are all very local) - this coming month I am doing a 3 week version.

Supplies are a problem ... they pay a materials fee and are free to purchase more of their own supplies when they know what they desire to do and if it is a variance to what is available with the materials fee. Equipment use and tools are supplied ...

I hope that helps you somewhat ... sadie
kelly alge

Post by kelly alge »

I think $100 is a lot for one small suncatcher, do they get to keep the soldering iron? Part of it probably depends on the area you live in, too. My jewelry classes are 5 hours long and students can make up to 30 pieces in that amount of time. I charge $70 at my place, (materials included) and $100 in the city- small part of that goes to the studio I'm teaching in, kind of a rent fee. I also sell extra supplies (not necessary for the class) on the side, like extra dichroic or silver wire, findings, etc. I'm in the midwest. BTW- if you do an off-site class be sure to have a contract that states when and how you expect to be paid (either that day or when pieces are returned). I had to wait 2 months to be paid for a class I taught over the summer (my fault- no contract- learned my lesson) what a hassle!
kelly alge

"An ordinary life is a crime" -eric schmider
Judd

Post by Judd »

Thank you for your replies.

Yes, the students get to keep their supplies.

And, yes, doing it all in a 4-8 hour time limit will be tough, but the classes will be in a neighboring town, several hours away, and the guy who approached me with this whole idea stated that he wanted something that would last only 1 day.

He responded to my email, and it looks like our first face-to-face meeting will be this Monday.

Thanks again,
Judd
Tami C

Post by Tami C »

When I owned my stained glass store, and was in the business of selling supplies, I offered a beginning stained glass class for $75. This included a cheapy glass cutter, cheapy pair of breaking pliers, fid, foil, and use of my soldering irons. They completed in an 8 hour course a "mini window" pattern of thier choice, (about 1 square foot, between 10-30 pieces) I had the students purchace the glass, because everybody wanted different colors, and some were better to begin with than others. So, for roughly $100.00 total, they had a 'window' and would hopefully come back for more supplies and a second class. Besides the money, what do you want out of it? I think its good to understand your own motives to better help your students.
Tami C
Judd

Post by Judd »

Tami C.

I honestly did NOT want to teach the class. So, I fixed the rates as high (and reasonable, I thought) as possible.

Henry
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Judd wrote:Tami C.

I honestly did NOT want to teach the class. So, I fixed the rates as high (and reasonable, I thought) as possible.

Henry
Do the right thing then. Decline the job.