4 Inch Fused Recycled Glass Round Photo

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

suntoys

4 Inch Fused Recycled Glass Round Photo

Post by suntoys »

You told me I'd be better off posting fusion so here you are. I did this piece using recycled art glass ruffles and broken vases. The round was fused at 1500 degrees. I made this piece in a small annealing kiln - side fired. The piece appears to be 3D but is as flat as ice, 1/4 " thick and 4" in diameter. I used a clay mold (drain bowl for flower pots). Please leave me any questions, comments or suggestions so we can share with others.

I'm always looking for people to help me use my recycled glass in art. Contact me for details.

Thanks for looking at my glass round! If you would like to see more of my recycled art in glass; please visit my website http://www.morefunstuff.com or email me at glassuser@aol.com
SunToys
molly

Post by molly »

I think this piece is fascintaing too! Are the edges still sharp? With a bit of coldworking, this should be a gorgeous piece!
suntoys

Post by suntoys »

Yes, there are little pokeys on the side. I posted this picture because of it's uniqueness. I would usually grind the edges or do my cold work prior showing it but in this case I wanted to show it to the other artists as is.
SunToys
Chip

Post by Chip »

Nice!
Chip
Micah 6.8
Brock

Post by Brock »

Well, I think the silence is speaking volumes here, and frankly, your piece is not a good example of either design, or technical execution. Merely piling scraps on a shelf and poorly firing them is hardly worthy of a request for a critique. There is much good work in the gallery, and it will give you some idea of what can be done in kiln formed glass. Brock
suntoys

I didn't mean this to be offensive to myself or anybody else

Post by suntoys »

The above picture was never intended to show design or technical execution. It's true it is scrap piled in a mold just not on a shelf. The reason I mentioned using a mold was the fact that it was an inexpensive flower pot drain bowl with kiln wash. I use these drain bowls in a lot of fusion pieces as an easy alternative to commercial molds. This piece is made from 104 COE recycled art glass and was made to show compatability of our recycled glass into itself. I would like to see more people using recycled materials in art.

Like it or not Art is Art
SunToys
Brock

Re: I didn't mean this to be offensive to myself or anybody

Post by Brock »

suntoys wrote:The above picture was never intended to show design or technical execution. It's true it is scrap piled in a mold just not on a shelf. The reason I mentioned using a mold was the fact that it was an inexpensive flower pot drain bowl with kiln wash. I use these drain bowls in a lot of fusion pieces as an easy alternative to commercial molds. This piece is made from 104 COE recycled art glass and was made to show compatability of our recycled glass into itself. I would like to see more people using recycled materials in art.

So . . . you consider this art? Brock
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

If maybe you question why there is a lone star from the American flag in the piece you may ponder. Maybe it's trying to communicate the challenge to foster this idea? It's a personal thing, for me it's a flag in tatters due to the ignorance of the tasks at hand.
P.S. - I haven't smoked heavily in years. Rum gets me every time!

- Haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
suntoys

Post by suntoys »

I'm with you, whisky for me. :lol: Here to you
SunToys
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

suntoys wrote:This piece is made from 104 COE recycled art glass and was made to show compatability of our recycled glass into itself. I would like to see more people using recycled materials in art.

I think if you asked us, the persons on this board would tell you that we recycle our materials all the time. The archives are full of discussions on using scraps and recycling failed pieces. Your proposal, that we should recycle materials is not new.

When a piece is not successful, I cut it up and use the pieces elsewhere. Glass is too expensive not to do so.

On another note, I would say that it is not the act of melting glass in a kiln that makes art.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Msveedub

Post by Msveedub »

The design of the tiger in your tiger piece is very interesting. My designs are still more modern or stylized; I admit I'm afraid of realism, because I don't know if I could pull it off. I'm sure this will change as my work matures. Did you design the tiger yourself, or did you find a pattern?

Susan
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

suntoys wrote:This piece is made from 104 COE recycled art glass and was made to show compatability of our recycled glass into itself. I would like to see more people using recycled materials in art.
I believe your message should have been posted in the Classifieds section as you are trying to sell something.

Susan
suntoys

Stained Glass Patterns

Post by suntoys »

The stained glass patterns shown on our website are original patterns giving to us by a woman who worked at Marine World Africa USA - a theme park with wild animals (lions, tigers, monkeys, elephants, etc..). She was the wildlife artist for the park and made pen and ink drawings of the animals at the park for several years. She also worked as an artist for Walt Disney starting in 1957. She converted her wildlfe drawings into stained glass patterns for her husband Jack. After retiring Jack worked full time on his new hobby - Stained Glass - and over the next 10 years +, he produced original windows from her patterns. The windows you see of wildlife in our website are made by us from her original patterns which she has entrusted to us.
SunToys