tile saw comparison ?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ann Demko

tile saw comparison ?

Post by Ann Demko »

Got a Tool Crib catalog and was looking over the tile saws. My budget is limited, as if everyone elses isn't, and i saw two saws I think I could handle. The first is a MK-170. It has a 1/3 hp. 5,500 rpm motor and can cut up to 2" thick tiles. The other is a Plasplug Master tiler wet saw. It has a 1 hp. motor and cuts up to 1 1/3 " thick tiles. It also has a 7 in blade but appears to be like a table saw in that I feed the piece manually to the blade. I tend to think the larger hp moter would be better. Less stress over the long haul making the machine last longer. I would really like some feed back from you all. Nothing speaks better that experience of which I have none. Ann
BobB

tile saws

Post by BobB »

I'm not sure about the Plasplug saw, because I've never heard it them. Therefore I'd wonder about reliability, service, etc. I would cover those bases before buying an off the wall brand anything. (again I'm not faniliar with plasplug and thier products, but research is needed).
The 1 HP motor sounds great, you'll be able to cut thicker pieces so thats a plus. The configuaration of the blade like a table saw I personally don't like, but that might be just me.
If you don't mind used equipment, I found an MK-370 saw at a pawn shop for $138.00. This is a $400 saw, slightly used yes, but I checked it out good before I purchased it. It works great for what I need.

my 2 cents.
BobB
charlie

Post by charlie »

i wouldn't advise buying any tile saw where the motor was under the table.
robertb

Post by robertb »

I just purchased the MK170 and it works like a charm!
robert
robert
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Home Despot sells the PlasPlug brand. I got a used one from a freind and they went and discontinued that size and no longer sell the blades. :evil:
Something odd in the 4.0-4.25 range. It says it takes 4.5", but really doesn't. It didn't take long to modify the plastic with a Dremel, but if the brand is going to odd size one thing, I wouldn't buy anything else from them. Just my opinion.
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

I had one of those plasplug saws a few years ago, it was not very powerful. We were trying to cut granite and it wouldn't touch it. That tool is not really a 1 hp motor. It seems to me that comparing hp is rather complicated. The motor on that thing was tiny. I have a true one hp motor on my "REAL" Tile saw and it is bigger than the whole plasplug saw.

MK makes a good product I don't own one but have used them and they seem decent.

Rick Wilton
Rick Wilton
Chip

Post by Chip »

I bought the cheapo Home Depot wet tile saw for around $80.00 Cuts tile, brick, cement and glass. It's a little underpowered so you have to feed slow, but it's cut everything I've thrown at it.
Chip
Micah 6.8