Would like your thoughts...

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Lisa Allen

Would like your thoughts...

Post by Lisa Allen »

Here is a new piece titled "Finding the Door". Please disregard the lighting, it is just a quick shot to show the piece. i would like your thoughts on the piece and the stand. Both are kind of prototypes for a new direction for me and I would appreciate any suggestions or opinions.

Thanks, Lisa

Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Very nice Lisa. Good work. Brock
Ross

Post by Ross »

I think it looks TOO cool Lisa!
Image Ross
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Lisa, it is wonderful. Congratulations!
Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Lisa,

I like the work, very simplified color palette for you but it works just as well. I like the stand but it seems to draw my eye out to the corners rather than in to the piece being displayed.

Susan
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

My husband says it looks like an Indian blanket and I agree--how big is it?
Amy
Chip

Post by Chip »

It is fascinating. I can find all kinds of figures in it, and it is very engaging.
Chip
Micah 6.8
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

The glass is 13"x13"x1/2".
Lisa Allen
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

Amazing use of pattern bars! I really like the minimal use of red - really draws your attention! How did you do the stand? Is is welded? What material did you use?

Greg
Greg
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

I echo what Chip said. With all the different figures that I see, it's very aptly named. I won't go through my Rorschach results, but it looks very Darwinian in a sense. I would like the stand to be black if I had a color choice. Wonderful work!
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i really really like the glass. i like the stand but a couple of things about it jar me some. the single support in the middle does not 'go with' (i wish i had db's vocabulary) the rythm of the design. i think that a double support set in some would be better. connected across the bottom. it would sort of echo the frame. i like the corners but i think they would look better if the pieces sticking out were about half as long. rosanna
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Very nice piece Lisa.

I have always really liked those colors together.

And the frame is great, but I too think the stand detracts from it, at least in this photo, maybe its just the photo.
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Wayne
WM Glass Studios
twinkler2

Post by twinkler2 »

I really like it *)

Not as colorful as I have seen before, but I like it....the red looks cool

Maybe a sturdier base would make it look as if it wouldn't fall over

Good job :)
Me Kim
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

The piece is very nice Lisa - lots of fantastic imagery in the pattern bars, the use of just a touch of red, etc - all very good. As for the stand, I don't dis-like it, and may not have even thought twice about it if you hadn't asked. But . . . since you did - I think the frame part of the stand could be a plain square rather than the corners that stick out, and the one "stem" in the middle could be replaced by two much lower (maybe only an inch) stems that would extend down directly from the sides of the square frame. That said, what you have looks fine, but the part that bothers me the most is the tall skinny stem (bar, support) in the center. For some reason, I see the piece going better with something short and fat for a stand/frame. All in all though - fabulous pattern bar usage - nice work.

Jackie
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Lisa -

I very much admire the way you continue to take your work in different directions -- and, at the same time, anyone who knows your work would immediatly recognize this as yours. That is something I am working towards but haven't come close to achieving.

As for this piece -- it rocks. I agree with the comment that is engaging -- I could spend a lot of time with this one.

Btw, whatever became of the larger, water-jet cut piece you brought to WGW?

- Paul
Robin Z

Post by Robin Z »

Really like your piece.

And I agree with Jackie about the stand.

Robin Z
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Paul Tarlow wrote:Lisa -

I very much admire the way you continue to take your work in different directions -- and, at the same time, anyone who knows your work would immediatly recognize this as yours. That is something I am working towards but haven't come close to achieving.

As for this piece -- it rocks. I agree with the comment that is engaging -- I could spend a lot of time with this one.

Btw, whatever became of the larger, water-jet cut piece you brought to WGW?

- Paul
Hey paul, thanks for compliments on the piece and the recognition of it as noticably mine, that is a huge compliment to me as well.

The water jet cut pieces are still here. I am working with a really wonderful metal artist who is helping me come up with a stand that really helps them come to life. Hopefully it will be finished by the end of the year and I will post the result. It is hard to get an artist to stop their own work long enough to work on yours! But it is coming along. Thanks for asking.

Lisa
Lisa Allen
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Greg Rawls wrote:Amazing use of pattern bars! I really like the minimal use of red - really draws your attention! How did you do the stand? Is is welded? What material did you use?

Greg
Thanks Greg. The stand is iron, welded, except for the top bar which is tapped and the top extensions are screwed into it. This allows for the glass to slide into the clips, then the bar is attached.

Lisa
Lisa Allen
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I tend to agree that the stand needs to be modified. It is going to be black, but just got it today and was too impatient to wait til it was painted before posting.

I think that 2 stems will be more attractive than 1 and will cut them shorter too.

Thanks again, Lisa
Lisa Allen
Bonita (Nita) Crawford

Post by Bonita (Nita) Crawford »

Lisa,

Great job. I'm so glad I bought your pattern bar tray at
WGW. I bought it because I loved it. When you are rich and
famous and commanding high prices, I'll be ever more grateful
I got some of your work when I did!!

Nita