Haik brush substitute

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Karen G

Haik brush substitute

Post by Karen G »

What kind of brush can I use instead of a HAIK brush for painting on shelf primer? I don't have any available shops around here, and don't want to wait to order one. Thanks
-K
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

you can airbrush it on, if you happen to have that equipment. but you could try any soft brush, and then sort of buff the surface after it has dried. someone told me recently he uses wadded up pantyhose to smooth off the surface.
Last edited by Kitty on Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brock

Re: Haik brush substitute

Post by Brock »

Karen G wrote:What kind of brush can I use instead of a HAIK brush for painting on shelf primer? I don't have any available shops around here, and don't want to wait to order one. Thanks
-K
Any kind, it doesn't really matter. Brock
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

They have goat hair brushes at Michaels that look like haik brushes to me. If they don't have real haik brushes, they have a bazillion other satisfactory replacements. I see that there's a Michaels in Ocala.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Home Depot--standard 4" house painting brush does a great job, fast.
"The Glassman"
Karen G

Thanks

Post by Karen G »

Thanks for all the replys. I will be heading out to Lowes tomorrow as it is right next door. Didn't want to use any taboo tactics on my first attempt. Still a little intimidated by the kiln, but have it all cleaned and ready to fire up tomorrow. Spent the day moving all the yard chemicals out of my shed, even though they were on the other side, didn't want to take any chances.

Ya'll have been most helpful, as always! Thank you! [-o<
Karen
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

I use a spray bottle. Takes seconds and works well. Be sure to shake well before each layer.
Deb
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

I use one of those sponge brushes for painting walls. It works just fine.

Geri
Victoria Nelson

Post by Victoria Nelson »

I use a paint roller with tray. Its quick, handy for big kiln shelves and leaves a nice finish!
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

daffodildeb wrote:I use a spray bottle. Takes seconds and works well. Be sure to shake well before each layer.
Doesn't the nozzle clog? Or, do you grind up the particles before you dilute your wash?
Thanks, BB
Barbara Bader
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

Nope--I don't do a thing. I've been using Hotline's kiln wash and haven't tried anyone elses' but I only scoop the powder into a container, add the proper amount of water, and then shake vigorously (lid on!). I pour this "soup" into the sprayer and have at it. Each time I spray I shake it up--that's it.
Deb
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

daffodildeb wrote:Nope--I don't do a thing. I've been using Hotline's kiln wash and haven't tried anyone elses' but I only scoop the powder into a container, add the proper amount of water, and then shake vigorously (lid on!). I pour this "soup" into the sprayer and have at it. Each time I spray I shake it up--that's it.
Interesting..... I use BE wash. When I've used a sprayer it's joined the dead parrot society PDQ! hmmm.
BB
Barbara Bader
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

I have some of it--running out of the Hotline. I'll let you know if it's different. Maybe it's the sprayer?
Deb
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

daffodildeb wrote:I have some of it--running out of the Hotline. I'll let you know if it's different. Maybe it's the sprayer?
Could be... but it was a heavy duty sprayer...
BB
Barbara Bader