Frit molds

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

bkfoltz

Frit molds

Post by bkfoltz »

I have lots and lots of small scrap left from a project I did with some school kids. what can I use for a frit mold. I was hoping on just dumping in the scrap and frit and fire. I know I can use SS banding, but I am having a hard time finding any. If I make a mold what do I use? Looked in the archive but just go more confused. Help. KRIS
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Kris: Use fiber paper as a dam. Similar to the SS ring. Hope this helps.
Kim
Rob Morey

Post by Rob Morey »

My work lives and dies on scrap. In my studio there is almost no such word. If I have nothing else to do with it, I grind it into frit using a mortar and pistil (is that the way you spell it??) system. You can get some really interesting frit combinations that way not to mention burning off a few of those holiday calories. You can use it in pot melts (see archives) or shelf melts (see http://www.ramoreydesign.com/shelfmelt.html) Or just save to experiment when the question arises, what would happen if I put this with that? And if none of this appeals to you, ship it to me.

Rob
"Come to the edge. We might fall. Come to the edge. It's too high! Come to the edge! And they came, and he pushed...... and they flew."
-- Christopher Logue
Cheryl

it's pestle, but...

Post by Cheryl »

Another easy way to deal with it (especially if you have a tile saw) is to build a little box out of clear and hot glue. dump all your scrap into there & melt away. (box = 4 sides & a bottom) you need to dam it.
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Cast your scrap in those heavy steel muffin pans, the ordamental kind that come in different designs, shells, corn etc. Use lots of kiln wash. They make nice paperweight gifts.
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Doug:
What a great idea! I'll have to give that a try
vblue

Post by vblue »

I know you asked about frit molds, but there are other options like mosaic tree ornaments, mosaic tiles (cut into strips for wind chimes, etc.

YEA!!! I did it....never posted a photo here before :D
charlie

Post by charlie »

glassaddict wrote:Kris: Use fiber paper as a dam. Similar to the SS ring. Hope this helps.
Kim
and you can use staples to hold the strips of paper together. use a thick paper (1/8")
kazindc

frit molds

Post by kazindc »

You can get frit molds (square and round) at http://www.artglass1.com
or if you want to make some different shape, I have some stainless steel strips that are approx. 2 inches high by 2 feet. You can form it into almost any shape. Will send one if you want. Have my 80 year old father trained that if he goes by a metal shop he stops in to see if they have any stainless scraps. He is getting pretty good at it.
karen teemer