Menorah sharing time

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

slats

Menorah sharing time

Post by slats »

Happy Holiday to All!!!!!!!!
Last edited by slats on Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Very nice. After looking though I think I may have an idea as to why you are having a problem with your bond. I could be wrong, but I'll guess that your piece that stands upright is two layers thick, is that right? Mine are thicker and that little extra surface for gluing may help. Also, is the edge where you are attaching the piece to the base coldworked to a nice flat surface? If not, that may help also. And, one more thing - I rough up both surfaces where the bond will be prior to gluing and once placed, I don't even touch them for at least 24 hours. I hope that helps some.

Take care,
Jackie
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

I just looked again, and can see that the raked piece must indeed be thick enough and flat enough, so if the bond has failed there as well, I could be totally wrong with my last answer.

Jackie
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

I have been thinking about similar constructions. If the base were thicker I imagine that sandblasting a channel in the base before glueing it in might help the cold connection.

Barbara

BTW, nice work.
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i really like that raked one.
Warren Weiss

Post by Warren Weiss »

Doctag,
Beautiful work. Could you share where you find the metal candle fittings?
Thanks. Warren
slats

candle cups

Post by slats »

a friend who lives in Israel got them for me and I am still working on trying to buy quanities but still searching this out. Will inform any interested when finalized....with pleasure
Lou_Ohio

Post by Lou_Ohio »

try this reference

itty bitty candle cup holders
Robin Z <zeeski@worldnet.att.net> -- Monday, 18 February 2002 at 16:46
Licha & Jackie I found the Phone # 1-800-645-7260 & the Idem # 2815 Brass candle socket. Hope its what you want.
Robin Z
NEW: Re: itty bitty candle cup holders
Jackie Beckman <jbeckman29@home.com> -- Monday, 18 February 2002 at 02:00
Me too, please. Have been looking for these forever. Best if they fit a standard size menora candle, but short of running around with one testing it, you'll never be sure they won't wobble around. When I do find the right thing, I'm buying a ton of them. Jackie
MarlaS

huh?

Post by MarlaS »

i must've missed chunks of the discussion, so a couple of qns:
...1, was curious about the glueing; what product are you using?
....2, are y'all saying that you did get the candle cups at this number? & is the kind w/ the flat bases (so you'd have to sit them on a flat surface)? only one's i've found on the net have a cup on a flat round circle, w/ a screw in the bottom....

thanks, & happy hanukah....marla