Orton downdraft system on Evenheat 2451--Help!!!!

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Karen Laing

Orton downdraft system on Evenheat 2451--Help!!!!

Post by Karen Laing »

Help,

I just got my quote for the Evenheat 2451 with the Orton downdraft which is $670 Cdn. I just about had heart failure. :shock:

Is there a problem with painting on glass without it. The artist I am on the studio tour with wants to do some collaboration and paint on some of the pieces we do.

I am not sure if I should do without it. Or if it is absolutely important ask her to pay half or whole.

PLease I need some suggestions. If we can do without it, or vent it another cheaper way it would be helpful to know. Thanks, kl :?
Karen Laing aka arcticlass
Brock

Post by Brock »

You don't NEED the downdraft. Brock
Karen Laing

Post by Karen Laing »

Thanks Brock for getting back to me. I have got back to my supplier who indicated that thought it was a firm order. I had no idea it would cost that much, so am hoping that I can get out of having the downdraft. kl
Karen Laing

Post by Karen Laing »

Brock,
Was able to get the downdraft cancelled. thanks for the advice!
Brock

Post by Brock »

Okay, now you've saved $670.00, you have to figure out how to remove fumes from your kiln/room. Brock
Karen Laing

Post by Karen Laing »

I have tried looking through the archives and their was a suggestion that a louvred window could be used to vent it. I have in my shop an area that is designed to put an a/c unit in it that is covered over. I was thinking that if I set up a vent hood of some sort that might work. Do you have other suggestions!! Thanks, kl
Brock

Post by Brock »

The vent hood WILL work, if it's right over the kiln. Otherwise, even a fan towards an open window helps somewhat
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

My kilns are in the basement. I have an exhaust fan over the kilns that is vented outside by a duct. Seems to work great. When firing something that should have odors there are no odors once a few feet away from the kilns and no odors upstairs. This was my only option other than the Orton fan system. I live in Ohio and can't heat the garage at this time for a work area.
Nanc