Advice for someone new to the art

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

cruiser

Post by cruiser »

Hello, I'm new to warm glass and this type of art all together. I'm very excited to learn more about it all. I wanted to write and ask for advice on getting started. I'm sure its tempting for some to jump in head first, spend too much money on the wrong things and so on. I'm looking forward to taking some courses from a glass school in Sarasota, FL.. and also purchase some books like "Warm Glass". Once again I'm very excited about learning this new craft and to begin creating. I find it all very facinating and hope to make something special enough to show you all one day. I'm glad I found this website, its been a great help so far, and this BB seems to be a special place as well.

So to repeat my questions, how would you start out If you could do it all over again? What books, video, classes and Kiln's do you recommend for someone who wants to jump in head first. :)

Thank you in advance for your time. :D
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Well, it sounds like you know the drill... get Brad's book, take a couple classes to see what can be done (so you don't get in over your head) and to learn the basics, then get a small kiln and a glass assortment to learn how the glass behaves at temperature, then take more classes, then get a bigger kiln, then some power tools, then another kiln.....

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
vblue

Post by vblue »

I agree with Tony.......get Brad's book and take some classes.
We offer two types of classes at the shop where I teach. One is a jewelry class. The other is an intense 2 day class where they do a large plate in the large kiln and while it is "cooking", do some "creating" in the smaller kilns. This way they see the advantages and disadvantages of the various size kilns.
I have heard many people say they wish they had a bigger kiln. So I would say, use the classes to help determine what all you want to do, then purchase the biggest kiln you can afford and have room for.

Vernelle
daffodildeb

Post by daffodildeb »

Vernelle--where in Texas are your classes?
Deb
David_S

Post by David_S »

Vernelle - Be prepared for a lifetime of addiction - fascination - awe - inspiration - and above all - LOVE of this Artform! You are entering a realm of alchemy where you are the magician - and glass is the magic! If glass were food - we would all have weights rivaling fusing temps... :D
vblue

Post by vblue »

Daffodildeb,
I'm in Fort Worth. I'm a retired school teacher, teaching classes at the Merry Go Round Stained Glass.........what I make there helps support my "glass addiction". :D

The shop has a website but we haven't posted the next group of classes yet.
http://www.merry-go-roundstainedglass.com
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Cruiser
Quit now! Sell anything you've already bought. Take the money and run off to a beach somewhere. Lay in the sun (protected) with someone you love. Glass is a dead end. It's just melting making and cold work. equipment breaking glass breaking and people who want to know if that's the best you can do on your price.
If it's too late, then get a book about St. Francis of Assissi or a zen text and prepare yourself for a monastic life of poverty devoted to something beautiful that doesn't care whether you live or die.
You can quit if you really want to...
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
Ann Demko

new artist

Post by Ann Demko »

My reply is to get the largest kiln you can afford. You obviously love glass and once you get into this it just takes over. You will outgrow a small kiln quickly and to me they don't provide the bang for the buck. (I am not into jewelry but larger pieces.) You may wnat to take the class first and use their equipment. From there you might have a little more info as to what your direction might be. Ann
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

Thank you all, for the great information and advice.
Doris Sisk

Post by Doris Sisk »

Cruiser,
I am fairly new at this, too. I did what it sounds like you are about to do. I took some classes, bought Brad's book and have read it and reread it and keep referring to it. The more I learn the more sense the book makes to me. I look at this site often just to learn more and I go to other web sites (Patty Gray's info on Spectrum 96 home page has been very helpful). I first got some glass, tools, etc. and began "planning" and practicing cutting. When we got our tax refund last year I bought a kiln (from cdv). I bought the largest kiln I could afford (Skutt 814) and I love it.
Now I find it hard to pull myself away from the studio and go to my "real" job everyday. Had my first show two weeks ago and it was so wild! What a blast. I am addicted :)
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey Cruiser:
Welcome..... this has been my experience:
I LOVE glass, so I didn't have an option to say "don't do it". I have found that it is very expensive to fuse vs traditional stained glass, but warm glass has opened a HUGE door for me. I have met wonderful people who have opened their doors for me and answered any questions that I may have. I have learned tons but my problem has been to try and stay focused on one thing. I have taken numerous courses which has been very expensive but I have met lots of new people who have the same passion that I do. I agree with buying the biggest kiln you can afford (mine is 30"x30" and seems to be a good size). For me it has not been just about the glass, but the people who understand what I love.
Good luck and keep posting
Kathie
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
Terrie Corbett

Post by Terrie Corbett »

Hi,

A lot of very good suggestions have already been posted. I would add that if you are able to take a class from Brock Craig and Avery Anderson that you do so. They are both terrific artists and they are excellent teachers. The two uniquely create an environment that is filled with valuable technical information, camaraderie and humor. "You'll laugh, you'll cry...." you will work hard and you will love it!

Both Brock and Avery are very generous with their time and the information they convey. They provide structure for the technical proficiency that one seeks but they also allow for flexability in individual design pursuits. Theirs is a class that 'opens doors' and ignites the warm glass spirit!

Happy Holidays.

Best regards,

Terrie