Denver KL 50-Anybody have one?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Tony Serviente

Denver KL 50-Anybody have one?

Post by Tony Serviente »

I have the opportunity to get a used KL50 at a great price, but don't know anyone who has used one. Anybody have comments to share?
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

I have 2 Denvers. I personally like a fiber kiln. There is a lot of info about them in the archives (pro and con). I don't know what you consider a great price, but if it's in good working order, with a decent controller, then go for it. - Barbara
Liam

Post by Liam »

I like my denver, but you will need to do more upkeep than you would for most kilns. That was a plus for me because it forced me to learn how my kiln works. Now I could build a denver type kiln from scratch. They have a problem with the lid insulation board warping down and resting on the elements. This might knock little bits of fiber board off, and down on to your glass, as the elements move, or worse, break the ceramic rods the elements are strung on. This is what happende to mine. The lid, and the fiberboard in the lid needs reinforcement to keep it flat, so check this link
http://community.webshots.com/album/44600274WEAJPS
a note on this site, next time I would have replaced the lid insulation with fiber blanket.
Read the archives, lots there
Liam
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Thanks Liam-Great sequence you put together. I keep meaning to document various projects in that way, and you've inspired me. I build my own kilns, and normally would not consider buying another commercial one, but the price is too good to pass up on this, and even if I have to rebuild the lid, the shell alone is worth it. Think I'll gut the lid, replace it with batt and board, and retrofit it with the elements I use in my other kilns. Thanks for the input!
Liam

Post by Liam »

When you figure out how to get a new board into the lid, without cutting the one piece welded lid, let me know. It's a mistery to me.

Liam
LesleyNolan

Post by LesleyNolan »

I have a KL60D and I love it. I have had it for about 2 1/2 years. I fire about 3 times a week sometimes everyday. I have had no problems with the lid. I have had to replace the shelves...no problem. I have recommended the kilns to several friends and they have been happy as well. The fiber is holding up beautifully.
I would say go for it!
Lesley
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Thanks all. Its sitting in my studio now, waiting for major surgery. Will let you know if it survives.