removing kiln paper from bottom of fused pieces?

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

rosanna gusler

Re: removing kiln paper from bottom of fused pieces?

Post by rosanna gusler »

you need to find out what the bottom of the kiln is made of. if it is vermiculite board i do not think kiln wash works well. otherwise yes . you might want to get a mullite kiln shelf and use kiln wash on that. whatever it is made of i would put kiln wash on the bottom in case of mishap. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Welcome Sarah!

Sounds like it is mullite. Judging from the looks of Laser's kilns I'd guess they come with mullite shelves. Is it heavy? If so, then it is and, yes, you can use kiln wash. But be warned, all kiln washes are not alike. If you use kiln wash made for ceramics you may find that it sticks A LOT to your glass.

Thin fire and Fiber paper should not be sticking to your glass. If they don't wash off easily with water then either you have a problem with the fiber paper, or your firing schedule. What schedule did you use?

Barbara
SarahWilson

Post by SarahWilson »

Thank you!
I'll try and phone up Laser tomorrow and see what its made of. Its pretty dense and hard, when you tap it it sounds high pitched like ceramic. I've got some bullseye shelf primer so it should be okay.

I used the program in "Contemporary Warm Glass" that is suggested for firing 'the fused coaster project':

600dg/hr up to 1100 - no soak
250dg/hr up to 1300 - no soak
full fire up to 1500 - 10 min soak
max down to 1050 - no soak
200dg/hr down to 750 - no soak
max down to room

The kiln fibre does wash off, but it leaves a whitish sand-blasted look impressed into the back of the glass. Doesn't seem to totally come off almost as though its slightly fired into the back of the glass even if scrubbed at with wire wool.
Sarah
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Sarah, I assumed you were in the UK. Those temps are farenheit. Is your kiln Farenheit or Celcius?

This is where you get to start experimenting. Fiber paper will leave your glass textured and sort of matte looking. Sometimes the side you use makes a difference. You may be able to get the look you want at a lower full fuse temp. I never full fuse at higher than 1465 and seldom above 1430.

I seldom use fiber paper or thinfire beneath the glass (except when I am being incredibly lazy!) because I like the finish from a kilnwashed mullite shelf best. I'm pretty confident your shelf is mullite. Go ahead and try with the BE wash. In my opinion it's the best for fusing on mullite.

Enjoy the ride!
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS