Oops- two more from the display at the Y

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Lib

Oops- two more from the display at the Y

Post by Lib »

Well poop. I meant to post this here and I put it on Spabs instead, so here it is again. Darn 7am Saturday kitty as alarm clock with no coffee made!

Anyhow, three pix of two pieces, opinions are solicited. Once they come home after Christmas I'll be perfecting my photography chops- I hope.
Attachments
The green and red piece, to show its depth since that doesn't show on the closeup below.
The green and red piece, to show its depth since that doesn't show on the closeup below.
Combed first, then slumped- I love combing, but I've GOT to put a longer handle on my combing tool.
Combed first, then slumped- I love combing, but I've GOT to put a longer handle on my combing tool.
CombedBowl1.jpg (10.81 KiB) Viewed 10589 times
This started out as a large flat pile of random leaves but I wasn't satisfied- much happier since I cut it into a disc and slumped it.
This started out as a large flat pile of random leaves but I wasn't satisfied- much happier since I cut it into a disc and slumped it.
Valerie Adams

Re: Oops- two more from the display at the Y

Post by Valerie Adams »

Lib, are the leaves open in the white areas? I've done a few tests with leaves similar and LOVE the organic nature of fusing a pile almost as found in nature. Beautiful!
Lib

Post by Lib »

Yep, the white areas are open. It does have some leaves cut from clear irid, and when I first fused it all together I also laid it out over some 1/8" fiber paper leaves so some are kiln-carved in- that looked really nice when the whole thing was just a random pile, I thought it looked lovely on a table but it just wasn't practical- people were asking "Is it a trivet?" and I thought "Gosh, someone's going to buy it, put it on their table, put something hot on it and it's going to shatter"- so I hung it on a wall, but it wasn't catching any eyes at all that way. The bowl is attracting some notice and I like it best of all... although some people do still say "But it's got holes in it, how can you use it as a bowl?"... no imagination I guess, you don't put soup in it! It's for fruit or just ornamental, or for something else solid... pity the unimaginative, they really miss out. Better them than us! I have two huge old oaks, 175 years old, in my back yard that my dad played under as a child (his grandparents built this house) and I just love doing oak leaf things. They've always been special in our family, even before I found this house for sale and then learned its history.
Cher

Post by Cher »

Lib wrote: pity the unimaginative, they really miss out. Better them than us!
Ain't it the truth!

Like we'd charge hundreds of dollars for a bread basket, or a soup bowl.

I like the stand you've got that shows the piece with a tilt! I need one or two like that.
Last edited by Cher on Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>^..^<
Lib

Post by Lib »

Well Cher, I should probably keep this to myself but that stand is the one that came with the spiral sliced ham we got at Christmas last year- :oops: :P
Cher

Post by Cher »

There's that active imagination again!
>^..^<
Lib

Post by Lib »

That, or the frugal gene... or is that the "starving artist" gene? Either way, it works.