Covington's 16" Glass Smoother?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Terri Johanson

Covington's 16" Glass Smoother?

Post by Terri Johanson »

Greetings All:

I'm wondering if anyone has used the Covington's 16" glass smoother and how you'd compare its utility to a wet belt sander.

Terri
Brock

Post by Brock »

It's a flat lap or a flat bed grinder. I prefer the WBS. Brock
Terri Johanson

Post by Terri Johanson »

Thanks Brock. Just what I wanted to know. Do you think the Covington is a good bet for WBS or are there others that I should consider? Is the Model 760 or 761 big enough? I've only worked on other people's in classes and they've always been the floor size ones...and I see that Anea is selling hers because she's getting a larger one.

...Just finally retired and gearing up for nearly FT glass work the WBS is the next piece of equipment I've targeted and am trying to finalize decision.

Terri
charlie

Post by charlie »

there was a long thread on this not too long ago.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Terri Johanson wrote:Thanks Brock. Just what I wanted to know. Do you think the Covington is a good bet for WBS or are there others that I should consider? Is the Model 760 or 761 big enough? I've only worked on other people's in classes and they've always been the floor size ones...and I see that Anea is selling hers because she's getting a larger one.

...Just finally retired and gearing up for nearly FT glass work the WBS is the next piece of equipment I've targeted and am trying to finalize decision.

Terri
I don't have any experience with the table top WBS's, but at half the cost of a real one, I'd go for the real one. Brock
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

I have the 3 x 41.5" Covington. Here is my observation.

If you are going to be doing a fair amount of work with it I would suggest getting the bigger floor standing models. I use mine pretty much on a daily basis and ended up getting dimond belts for it because they last longer. Because of this it has cost me just about the same amount as a floor model.

Amy
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

I have both the welt belt sander 4 X 132 and a couple of old Somaca horizontal grinders 24". I use them all every day. They do different types of work. I had a 16" Covington and traded it off as I thought it was too light weight and was not as an aggressive machine as I was accustomed to using. Go for the largest you can afford and have the space for and you'll never regret it. Tenn. Tom http://www.fuhrmanglass.com
charlie

Post by charlie »

Amy Schleif-Mohr wrote:I have the 3 x 41.5" Covington. Here is my observation.

If you are going to be doing a fair amount of work with it I would suggest getting the bigger floor standing models. I use mine pretty much on a daily basis and ended up getting dimond belts for it because they last longer. Because of this it has cost me just about the same amount as a floor model.

Amy
but diamond belts for the large one would have been far more, bring the total cost way up there.

i also have the 3x41.5 covington and use it on almost every piece i produce. however, i only produce a couple of items/month so it's just fine for me.

it will all depend upon how much you use it, and how much production work you do. the table top ones are just fine if you don't mind the slowness of using it, and the belts wear out faster than the large floor standing ones.
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

That was my point Charlie, that the belts wear out faster. If I would have bought the floor type I wouldn't have bought the diamond belts. It just really depends on how much you are going to use it.

Amy
charlie

Post by charlie »

i think the floor standing model belts wear out fast too, compared to diamond ones for that model. there's just a larger surface area so it takes a bit longer.
Brock

Post by Brock »

charlie wrote:i think the floor standing model belts wear out fast too, compared to diamond ones for that model. there's just a larger surface area so it takes a bit longer.
Either Diamond or Silicon Carbide belts last much lomger on the bigger sanders. Seeing as thre belts are your main cost, once you have the machine, the larger units are more cost effective, over time. Brock
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

One thing to consider is the original cost of the diamond belts. For a smaller machine the belt cost "lots" less. I believe my diamond belts for the floor model was around $850 each or somewhere around there. If you take care of the belts and don't abuse them the diamond belts last a very long time. Everything depends on what you can afford and where you are going to put the machine.

Patty
http://www.pattygray.com
Terri Johanson

Post by Terri Johanson »

After all your good advice I want to research a floor model WBS...sounds like it would be worth the investment in the long run. I find the belts in several product listings but not the machines themselves does someone have link/s to vendors that handle the floor models...any brand recommendations or cautions?

Terri
Brock

Post by Brock »

http://www.crlaurence.com/

Type in Wet Belt Sander, hit go. Brock
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey Brock: I'm in the market too for a wet belt sander - should I go directly to the CRL in the States or can you recommend another place in Canada to buy one??
Thanks K
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

Kathie, we have a CRL right here in Calgary, There down basically at the corner of Deerfoot and Barlow in the south.

If you are still interested in coming by and seeing my shop let me know.
I'm not going to be in much between now and Jan 5. but give me a call and we'll set something up.

Rick Wilton
Rick Wilton
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey I forgot all about you!!! sorry..... I would LOVE to go over and see what your up to and big thanks for letting me know where to buy my sander. How about if I come over some time during the week of the 29th to the 2nd?? Tell me when and I'll be there.
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Brock

Post by Brock »

Kathie Karancz wrote:Hey Brock: I'm in the market too for a wet belt sander - should I go directly to the CRL in the States or can you recommend another place in Canada to buy one??
Thanks K
Rick answered it. Brock
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey that was just far tooooo easy. Now I just have to find out how much this little tool is going to cost me. I'm scared to find out.
Thanks guys
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Brock

Post by Brock »

It's gonna hurt! Probably around $2,200.00. Merry Christmas. Brock