Chicago Electric Tile Saw from Harbor Freight Problems....

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Anea

Chicago Electric Tile Saw from Harbor Freight Problems....

Post by Anea »

I am having some problems with my tile saw. :( It is the saw that a lot of people have and reccomended from Harbor Freight. I purchased it about 2 months ago and everything has gone well. I am not harsh with it and I usually clean it well after each use. I have probably onely used it about 20 times or so. In fact I used it yesterday and everything was fine, just a few quick slices. I left it set up to use again this morning but when I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't start. The breaker was not tripped on the machine or in my studio. Checked to extension cord and even tried plugging it directly into the wall. Am pretty sure it is not the electricity from the house as the water pump that was plugged in as well was working fine. Took off the fan cover and cleaned out the dust...still not working. Undid the front cover and looked at the electrical stuff (I have no electrical training at all) but everything seemed connected and okay, at least nothing looked funky to my untrained eye. So my question is has anyone had any electrical problems with their saw? Did I miss someting? Or do I just need toi cacll the manufacturer tomorrow and get help then? Any and all advice welcome on this beautiful sunny morning here in MOnterey!!
Thanks in advance-

Anea
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Check to see if a piece of material has fallen down into the blade cover. If even a small piece gets in there it will jam the motor if it isn't running. I usually take the blade cover off and clean it out when I'm finished. I have also just turned the hose on and directed it into the area to flush it. It takes very little to keep a motor from starting.

Hope it helps..............................G'pa Jim
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Hi Aimee.

Does that saw have a GFCI with a reset button? If so, press the reset and try it again.

Does the blade rotate freely?

Is there a reset button on the motor? They usually stick out the back of the motor if they are there.

Let me know if it still doesn't work and I'll think of a few more things you can try.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Anea

Post by Anea »

Tony and Jim-

I checked inside the blade cover and saw nothing stuck. The blade will move and glide correctly. Didn't actually try to flush it out, but may try that later ...just picked up the studio and didn't want to drag the hose into the garage again...but I didn't see anything.

There is not a GFCI button, unless you mean the circuit breaker button and that has not pushed out...so we can't push it to reset it. THe blade does rotate freely. There also is not a resert button anywhere else on the back of the motor, just the circuit breaker which is not tripped.

Still not sawing happily today :( but really enjoying the sunshine 8)

Anea
aka Aimee
Anea

Post by Anea »

Just wanted to thank everyone for their ideas over the weekend. I contacted Harbor Freight today and they are going to ship me out a new saw as soon as UPS has the one I am returning in its posession. They were really great about letting me return it no questions asked and I should be back up and running again in a week or two. I do feel sorry for my poor husband who has to take this one apart again and box it up...not to mention having to put it together again when the replacement one gets here...but, hey it should be easier to put together the second time around right?
:wink:

Anea
charlie

Post by charlie »

on my hf saw, there's a circuit reset button on top of the red/green off/on button. it doesn't pop out, is just a reset button. if this doesn't work it sounds like a problem with the starter cap, which you'd have to disassemble iehter the motor, or the electronics box, to replace.