Pot Melt Questions ???

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Barbara Muth

Re: Pot Melt Questions ???

Post by Barbara Muth »

Lisa, how easy would it be to cut one of those sheets down? Have you tried it?
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

It should not be too hard to cut the expanded metal with a small to medium size pair of bolt cutters. Just cut across the sheet one junction at a time on a line at the long end of one of the diamond shaped openings. You may want to file or grind the cut edges to remove any sharp burs to make it easier (safer) to handle.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Barbara Muth wrote:Lisa, how easy would it be to cut one of those sheets down? Have you tried it?
I did try it, but I only have a large pair of tin snips and it was a no go. The stuff I'm getting is pretty heavy and rigid. Bolt cutters might do the trick, as Tom mentioned, but I don't have any.
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Laurie Saukko

Post by Laurie Saukko »

If you know any sheet metal mechanics or heating contractors with their own shop they may be able to help you. :D
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

If you cant find a shop to help you, you might try to bend the metal and move it back and forth until it breaks..you will need to have a vise or something to hold it rigidly across its length. A hacksaw or Tile saw would work as well.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

When you think about it, this is so funny. It's like a think tank full of stoners. No offence, just a warning to other comedians. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Laurie Saukko

Post by Laurie Saukko »

Any large metal fabrication shop will have a shear that can cut it, trust me this is what I do.
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

I am missing the beginning of this thread.... :roll:
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie