luster disaster

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

luster disaster

Post by slats »

Fused an 18 " diameter blank, 1/4 inch thick, clear BE with different colors strips of transp. and opaque....fused gr8......Then experimented with covering the surface with hanovia SP rainbow luster..to get a peralized look but all I got was peralized disaster.......fused up to 1300 per instructions.....What is the best way to get it off.....Didnt really want to sandblast because I wanted a shiny finish? Can this be restored?

Also, having a problem with my kiln wash BE on shelf....Chipping off after only one firing and I use thin fiber paper? Is wash too thin...too thick...or what? That was my surprise for x-mas..... :cry:
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

If you fire it hot enough you may get lucky and it will burn off. Some lustres don't hold up about 1450. Don't know about the one you're using.

Sandblasting works to get it off. Etching may get it off. Handpads may get it off.

Good luck!

Geri
Bert Weiss

Re: luster disaster

Post by Bert Weiss »

doctac wrote:Fused an 18 " diameter blank, 1/4 inch thick, clear BE with different colors strips of transp. and opaque....fused gr8......Then experimented with covering the surface with hanovia SP rainbow luster..to get a peralized look but all I got was peralized disaster.......fused up to 1300 per instructions.....What is the best way to get it off.....Didnt really want to sandblast because I wanted a shiny finish? Can this be restored?

Also, having a problem with my kiln wash BE on shelf....Chipping off after only one firing and I use thin fiber paper? Is wash too thin...too thick...or what? That was my surprise for x-mas..... :cry:
Doc

You can sandblast and fire polish. It will come right back to shiny. Tony Smith knows what temps. I don't.

What was the look you got? was it overfired? was it applied too unevenly?

I will guess that your wash it too thick. I use an extremely thin wash when firing float glass and it never chips. My wash is the consistency of skim milk. I'll bet your using heavy cream. Try thinning it down and applying more coats.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Yup, Bert's right. Sandblast, then take the piece back up to 1450° for 10 minutes and you'll get your shine back.

Tony

The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Mira

Post by Mira »

I have problems with my wash chipping when I put the layers on too thickly. If I use very thin wash, in multiple layers, I have success.

Mira