Blue Dragon

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

revjerry

Blue Dragon

Post by revjerry »

This was supposed to be a kaleidoscope body! But after I got the center part combed I didn't have the heart to cut it up. So it got borders and slumped through a mold I made from broken up kiln shelves covered with fiber board. The combing conbines traditional combing methods with some frit applications.

Jerry

Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Jerry
That is beautiful! I love the colors!!
Kim
Mira

Post by Mira »

Very interesting colors -- Beautiful work. I would have a hard time cutting that one up too.

I'm interested in learning more about the frit application. Do you add the frit when the glass is at full temp?

Mira
Jon Wunderlich

Post by Jon Wunderlich »

Jerry,

Very cool, I could not cut this up either. I also would like to hear about the frit technique.

Jon
Diane

Post by Diane »

Great Job Jerry,
I'm going to have to travel up the coast this summer to visit you. Maybe I can pick up some pointers.
Hope you are having a nice holiday season.
Diane
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

Jerry: Beautiful work! Great movement, more going on than a regular pot melt or combing. What is the size of the piece? Have you ever tried combing a pot melt?

Nikki

(Cheryl: if you come up as me again on the left, I'll notify Brad).
revjerry

Frit

Post by revjerry »

Thank all of you for your kind comments.

The frit actually can be added while the glass is hot. If you use "chunks" it gives a neat texture, however, that's not what this is. For this one I simply heaped the frit where you see the cranberry color, let it heat and raked through it. Otherwise, it's a pretty standard combing.

Dianne, we are open 10-5 Wed-Sat until May, then the hours expand. Come on up anytime. Always glad to talk glass with someone who appreciates it.
Sonje

Post by Sonje »

Diane....
How about a road trip down east together this summer? It's not that far you know! I stopped by last summer, Jerry was out but I did pick up a beautiful cast angel who resides in my office! Let me know!

Jerry...
Incredible design! Before my son could read anything about your piece he stopped in front of the computer screen and said "What an awesome blue dragon!" Thanks for sharing the great work!

Sonje
~Even though our house is "quarantined" with the flu, my kiln is cranked!
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

That's gorgeous! I love the colors and the way the combing went, it's mesmerizing. =D>
twinkler2

Post by twinkler2 »

Jerry

Very cool....I wouldn't have been able to cut it up either

Great colors and movement
Thanks for sharing :)

Me Kim
Patti Rohwer-Nutter

Post by Patti Rohwer-Nutter »

Jerry,

Beautiful piece - all my favorite colors! What glass did you use for the border?

Patti
revjerry

Blue Dragon

Post by revjerry »

Patti,
I work with Spectrum series 96, not because it's so much better, but because I understand it and can predict what it does.

The border is series 96 blue opaque on a white base and fired to 1500 for a full fuse with rounded edges.

Jerry
mpg

Post by mpg »

Jerry,

The piece is gorgeous! What system96 glass did you use for the cranberry colored areas -- I didn't think they had anything that shade?

Thanks!
Michelle
revjerry

cranberry color

Post by revjerry »

And you are right; that color doesn't exist, or, at least I can't find it. We mixed a couple colors of Thompson's Enamel together to get it. One of their transparent pinks with some cobalt and silver pixie dust. It's a crap shoot. Sometimes you can get away with mixing frit and sometimes you cant. Mixing it to do raking, however, seems to be the best of all worlds because I get to stir it around while it's hot and that helps blend the colors.

Thanks for asking,
Jerry
jeremy bizzano

Post by jeremy bizzano »

that's beautiful! like some abstract organic paintings i've seen.

jeremy
Bonita (Nita) Crawford

Rev. Jerry's Work

Post by Bonita (Nita) Crawford »

What a great serendipitous surprise. I'm glad you didn't cut it, either.

Nita