Broken Rim

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

fun5oh

Broken Rim

Post by fun5oh »

Hi all,
I have been working on a plate the last couple of days. After attempting to cut a rim for it twice, and breaking it both times, I decided to fire the broken rim anyways. Only problem is that now I have 4 1/16 inch gaps around my rim, which is white on a clear base. Is there anyway to fix these and make the rim appear solid again?

Thanks in advance, I never did the rim thing before.............

Robin :)
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

I don't have any suggestions for the rim on this piece but can refer you to Patty Gray's excelent tutorial on circle and rim cutting at http://www.system96.com/Pages/CircleDemo/Circle1.html
The only thing I do differently is that I use an 18" long 1/2" diameter hardwood dowel that I have sanded to a dome shape on the end to apply the pressure on the back side of the score instead of my thumb or finger to run the score. I started using this when I needed extra leverage to run the score on 1/4" thick glass and find it works as well on any thickness glass. Check out Patty's tutorial and good luck on your next border.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

I find just using fingers insufficient, expecially if I'm trying to conserve glass by cutting the circle within a square with only a half inch or less to the edge.I use the same principal as Tom, only I use the ball end of my cutter. Works for me, up to quarter inch, then its time to increase leverage.
fun5oh

Post by fun5oh »

Thanks Tom! I must say that thanks to Pattys tutorial, I can cut circles like a pro, but rims I have had no luck with. I need to get a piece of carpet, maybe that would help............
No if I could just fix what I already messed up! :D
What if I brought it back up to full fuse again with a narrow piece of white over each clear gap I have? I cant add much more glass, I am almost at max size for my mold :(

Thanks again,
fun5oh

Post by fun5oh »

Thank you also Tony, we must have posted at the same time :)