spray booth option

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Susan Cox

spray booth option

Post by Susan Cox »

I'm building a spray booth to use with my air brush. I'll be using micas and enamels. I can't vent it to the outside, so could I connect it to my sand blaster vacuum which has a hepa filter in it? Or would this contaminate the blasting grit?
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

No. You can't paint with the sound of a shop-vac nearby. It would drive you insane.

I made a spray booth with filters from a red-devil vaccuum cleaner hepa filters and a squirrel-cage blower I bought from eBay. Works OK. Got photos if you want them.
Jeri D

Post by Jeri D »

I'd like to see pictures! Ready this winter to attempt airbrushing. Do you need Hepa filters and how do you vent. I will be doing it in shop if possible with no airvents, but can work outside if necessary
Jeri
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Jeri Dantzig wrote:I'd like to see pictures! Ready this winter to attempt airbrushing. Do you need Hepa filters and how do you vent. I will be doing it in shop if possible with no airvents, but can work outside if necessary
Jeri
I can't give expert (or safe) advice about venting and filtering, but here's what I do: I use hepa filters from a portable vacuum cleaner (red devil) with some prefilter material in front of it to catch most of the pigment nastiness. I use hepa files because the paint I use is toxic. I also wear a respirator and goggles while spraying. Below is a picture of the tabletop booth I made. I work alnost exclusively on 2D stuff, so I paint on an easle inside the booth, with the glass stuck-up with wax.

If any stained glass painters read this, please try not to die from envy of my Louisville mini-Slugger mahlstick laying on the table in front of the booth. Sometimes its tough being so cool.

Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Don

You better lock up that Louisville mini-Slugger. It's going to be a collectors item when the Emerald Ash Borer gets finished with all the ash trees. :shock:

We have them in Columbus now, next year they will be knocking on your door looking for the bat.

http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-12 ... --,00.html

Just in case someone doesn't know what a Louisville Slugger is (we are international)

http://www.slugger.com/index.html

Ron
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Ron Coleman wrote:Don

You better lock up that Louisville mini-Slugger. It's going to be a collectors item when the Emerald Ash Borer gets finished with all the ash trees. :shock:

We have them in Columbus now, next year they will be knocking on your door looking for the bat.

http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-12 ... --,00.html

Just in case someone doesn't know what a Louisville Slugger is (we are international)

http://www.slugger.com/index.html

Ron
The Southern Pine borer is taking down my stomping grounds at the Red River Gorge in Kentucky. Dogwood Anthracnose will eliminate that species in our lifetime, I've heard. Like Bill Bryson says, what happens when when the generic 'tree' disease appears? Which bird species prefer the Kudzu/Honeysuckle forest? At least a few I hope.

The people in my neighborhood are taking down the last of the Elms when they die and replacing them with Londen Plane, Silver maple or other fast growing short-lived trees. (But we can't wait that long to enjoy it!, they say). Our neighborhood is noted for old hardwood trees, for now.

Hroom Hoom. A-lalla-lalla-rumba-kamanda-lindor-burúmë.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

[.

Hroom Hoom. A-lalla-lalla-rumba-kamanda-lindor-burúmë .....whaaa???
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

oh wait, i think i got it. ents, right? i read those books in highschool!
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

rosanna gusler wrote: i read those books in highschool!
Sorry. LOR fans can be annoying. But at least I'm not a Trekky.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i loved those books! have not seen the movies. i was amazed that i could remember that from 197? . now explain why i can remember that and yet i got a call from the food lion grocery store today telling me my purse was there. i left it in a cart yesterday. someone found it and turned it in. all intact. there are some good folks around here. rosanna