I'm new.........need a stripcutter

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nadine Green

I'm new.........need a stripcutter

Post by Nadine Green »

Hi All!

I'm a newcomer. LOVE this site! Please tell me the brand of the best stripcutter and where I can find it. Thanks so much.

Nadine
Marty

Post by Marty »

Nadine- check the archives, this is a subject dear to our hearts and it comes up repeatedly. Marty
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Nadine, I got a large custom made Scoreboard from the folks that make them and it is great. It accomodates a whole sheet of BE which can be stripped in about 10 minutes using your own cutter. It is just a base board with a set bar at the bottom and a raised perpendicular bar that the glass slides under. Make a mark on the bottom bar and start sliding and scoring, using the perpendicular bar as a guide for your cutter.

Lisa
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
slats

scoreboard

Post by slats »

Lisa sounds good but who makes them?
Harry

Post by Harry »

I have two new high-teck strip cutters for sale at $400 plus shipping.
They were made for prototypes and are similar to those selling for over $700.
Call John at Water Jet Design 503-615-0144.
Nadine Green

Post by Nadine Green »

Thanks Marty and Lisa!! I'll check into the avenues suggested by both of you. It is really nice to have this website so that this wonderful help is available.
Nadine
Lisa Allen

Re: scoreboard

Post by Lisa Allen »

doctac wrote:Lisa sounds good but who makes them?
Here is the addess for the folks who make them. THey come in a standard size that is fairly small for my purposes, but were happy to make one to my specs. Talk to Mark and tell him Lisa Allen in Memphis referred you.

http://www.emeraldrainbow-wedgies.com/scoreboard.htm

Lisa
Lisa Allen
slats

thanks

Post by slats »

much thanks lisa and your work is F A N T A S T I C!!!!! (Its okay to yell that out :lol:
Dr. John

Post by Dr. John »

I had someone to make one like Marty uses that I think Vitrum is selling. Works great and I think it is the best think if you have a fixed place to put it. Thanks Marty for the idea.
John
Paul Tarlow

Re: I'm new.........need a stripcutter

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Check out this thread:

http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2869

- Paul
Nadine Green wrote:Hi All!

I'm a newcomer. LOVE this site! Please tell me the brand of the best stripcutter and where I can find it. Thanks so much.

Nadine
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Lisa Allen wrote:Nadine, I got a large custom made Scoreboard from the folks that make them and it is great. It accomodates a whole sheet of BE which can be stripped in about 10 minutes using your own cutter. It is just a base board with a set bar at the bottom and a raised perpendicular bar that the glass slides under. Make a mark on the bottom bar and start sliding and scoring, using the perpendicular bar as a guide for your cutter.

Lisa
The instructions on the Scoreboard look backwards to me. If I'm right handed , I would have the cutter in my right hand and would want to cut on the right side of the vertical bar with the unscored sheet to the left.

According to the instructions, to cut on the right side of the bar, you would need a left handed cutter. Maybe you use the thing differently than I think.

Confused? I am.

Ron
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Ron Coleman wrote:
Lisa Allen wrote:Nadine, I got a large custom made Scoreboard from the folks that make them and it is great. It accomodates a whole sheet of BE which can be stripped in about 10 minutes using your own cutter. It is just a base board with a set bar at the bottom and a raised perpendicular bar that the glass slides under. Make a mark on the bottom bar and start sliding and scoring, using the perpendicular bar as a guide for your cutter.

Lisa
The instructions on the Scoreboard look backwards to me. If I'm right handed , I would have the cutter in my right hand and would want to cut on the right side of the vertical bar with the unscored sheet to the left.

According to the instructions, to cut on the right side of the bar, you would need a left handed cutter. Maybe you use the thing differently than I think.

Confused? I am.

Ron
Hey Ron-

I got a modified version that doesn't have the angled rod, just the bottom aluminum bar and the raised perpendicular one, so with this one you can use it as a righty or a lefty. Just depends on which way you want to slide the glass. You can use either side of the perpendicular bar to butt your cutter up against. No instructions with this one, its made just for up and down cuts which is all I wanted.

Lisa
Lisa Allen
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Lisa Allen wrote:
Ron Coleman wrote:

Lisa

Confused? I am.

Ron
Hey Ron-

I got a modified version that doesn't have the angled rod, just the bottom aluminum bar and the raised perpendicular one, so with this one you can use it as a righty or a lefty. Just depends on which way you want to slide the glass. You can use either side of the perpendicular bar to butt your cutter up against. No instructions with this one, its made just for up and down cuts which is all I wanted.

Lisa
OK that answers the question. Looks like a good system for the strips.

Ron
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Ron, We have a scoreboard and we are both right handed. We score on the right side of the bar that is perp. or angled. Maybe we are using it wrong but Mark used it this way when I saw him use it. Maybe the instructions or the picture were printed wrong.
Nanc