Tanquerey bottle

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

fun5oh

Tanquerey bottle

Post by fun5oh »

The green Tanquerey Gin bottle has a red metal seal on it. Does anyone know what is made of, or what will happen if I leave it on and slump the bottle?

Thanks in advance,
Robin :)
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

It depends on what kind of metal it is as to what will happen.

I wouldn't fire it with the metal on it because odds are the glass and the metal have very different COEs, and it will cause the bottle to break. Worst case, the metal is something you shouldn't fire, like galvanized whatever it is that makes a toxic vapor.

Geri
Jackie Beckman

Re: Tanquerey bottle

Post by Jackie Beckman »

fun5oh wrote:The green Tanquerey Gin bottle has a red metal seal on it. Does anyone know what is made of, or what will happen if I leave it on and slump the bottle?

Thanks in advance,

Switch to Bombay Saphire - no red metal seal to worry about. :wink:
fun5oh

Post by fun5oh »

I am guessing that it is aluminum, very thin. I havent taken it off yet but it seems to be the same material that the cap would be made out of????
If I don't hear different by morning, I may just try it and see what happens :twisted:

Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Yes, the ring is aluminum and part of the "pilfer proof" cap and seal system the bottlers use. That keeps people from testing the gin before buying.

It will melt and drip.

Ron
fun5oh

Post by fun5oh »

Well looks and sounds can be deceiving......... I just removed the red seal from the bottle, and it is PLASTIC. I don't think that would have smelled very good at all :)

Thanks for your replies,
Lonman

Tanquerey bottle

Post by Lonman »

If I remember correctly from my bartending days, the seal is made of red sealing wax. More of a plastic than wax. However, they may have switched to metal for cost reasons.

Lonman 8)
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

The only metal I know of on any Tanguerey is on the "Ten" Tanguerey. As you found out, the red button is plastic and can be put back on the bottle after it's fired. The metal strip on "Ten" can also be removed and replaced on the bottle after it's fired.

Don't try Bombay gin in your kiln. This is not colored glass. The turquoise is only a film over clear glass and would probably burn up in your kiln.

Judy
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Don't try Bombay gin in your kiln.
Oh! No - I didn't mean for the kiln! :wink: