using mica

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

slats

using mica

Post by slats »

I am making a sink and interested in experimenting with mica...unfortunately my airbrush needs repair. How else can I apply Pearl Ex? On top of glass? Between layers? Dry? or painted on? What is best?
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

You can paint it on - mix with Klyr Fire or acrylic water based medium. You can sponge it on, stipple it, etc. It won't sift. However, if you want a nice even coating, using an airbrush is the best way to go. If you want to encase the micas, fire first on top of the glass and then encase in a subsequent firing. Gold, russet, copper are best on clear or transparent glass, although not as dynamic as on the darker base. The interferance colors don't do well unless on black or dark glass.

Avery
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

You can also spread it on your kilnshelf dry and fire on top of it... but like Avery said, airbrushing gives you the most uniform coating. The biggest problem is that it is so light that it floats and gets all over everything if you try to sift it, or breathe on it with it spread out dry. Use a vacuum to clean it up.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Liam

Post by Liam »

I think I read that when encased, it had to have some glass to glass contact. Is that right, or will the top blank fuse to the prefused mica blank?

Liam
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

There does have to be some glass to glass contact since mica works well as a separator. Also, you'll get trapped air bubbles when you encase it, unless you fuse the mica to the surface of one piece first, clean off the excess, then cap.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun