Anyone use "527 Cement" to Glue on Bails to Fused

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

candala

Anyone use "527 Cement" to Glue on Bails to Fused

Post by candala »

Has anyone used this product? I was told by my stained glass store that it is very good for fusing bails to glass (fused). I've been using E6000 and it sometimes comes off with humidity and perspiration. Any one have 527 experience?
RobinE

Post by RobinE »

I use 527 for for adhering glass onto glass for layering effects. The glass has popped off occasionally even with 527 when I use some force (xacto knife to clean up oozed out glue) or when cleaning with wet sponge after I have grouted a mosaic for example.

I have had better luck with 527 overall percentage-wise than E6000.

Hope this helps.

Robin
Robin Evans
Robin Evans Studio
Colorado, USA
http://www.robinevansstudio.com
Alecia Helton

Post by Alecia Helton »

While I haven't used 527 cement to glue bails to glass, it was recommended by my jewelry wholesaler for glueing bails to semiprecious stones when another glue I was using wasn't working.

Alecia
Alecia Helton
Wear Original Wonders!
Carrollton TX
Dolores

Post by Dolores »

I've used both 527 and 6000 and had popping off problems with both. I now use a 5 minute epoxy (the dual application kind) and never had a problem since. That stuff really stays stuck!

DOLORES
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Dolores,

What brand of 5 minute epoxy are you using?

I have tried a 5 minute epoxy to glue sterling bails onto glass pendants and I could easily pull the bails off the pendants (20 or so) after the prescribed 16-hour waiting time. I am wondering if it was the brand I used or more likely an example of user error - I thought I mixed it very well but maybe my idea of thoroughly mixing is not sufficient. The epoxy stuck to the glass but not a bit of it stuck to the sterling bail that was scuffed and cleaned with rubbing alcohol. I switched back to E-6000 and it gives a very good hold for this particular application. I do prefer the ease of application of the epoxy though.

Susan
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Two-part epoxy from Wal-Mart works well.

Rough up your bail/glass before applying the epoxy.

Judy
rodney

Post by rodney »

I HATE E-6000,,,,,,,,,,,,,the stuff i use is THE WELDER, you can get it at walmart,,,,,,,,,,,,,,make sure you are in a well ventilated room,,,,once it sets up there is not smell,,,,,,,,,,i think the stuff is terrific
rodney
Susan Moore

Post by Susan Moore »

Judy and Rodney thx for the info. I will probably give epoxy another try. I think when I use up my current supply of bails I would like to try and get off the adhesives altogether and use other means of attachment - wire wrapping, drilling holes, etc. I envision less hassle and a more distinct look to my jewelry.

Susan
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Rubbing alcohol can leave an oil film behind that can interfere with glueing. Kevin in Tofino
Judith Andre

Post by Judith Andre »

Slow setting epoxy is much stronger than 5 min. Also, I haven't tried it but it has been suggested previously on this web sight that the strength is increased by putting it in a warm..150 degree? oven for a couple hours after it is glued up.
Judith
Val Eibner

Post by Val Eibner »

New to the forum and must say it is terrific for new comers to the art of hot glass. Artist for 30 some years in clay and mix-media, but now have been bitten by the glass bug. I am involved with a commissiom work that entails gluing on relief fused glass to a glass backing and I used what my glass supplier suggested which was a laminated gl on gl glue. useless since 3 weeks after installing the piece on the wall a few of the smaller fused pieces fell on the floor breaking in front of the buyers eyes...not good for confidence so I am re-doing the whole piece. Now what is the best adhesive to use outside of UV glue ..too pricey for now. Read lots of debate over what one adhesive is the most reliable. Sorry for the winded reply. Val
Val
eibnerstudio
BC,Canada
Brock

Post by Brock »

Val Eibner wrote:New to the forum and must say it is terrific for new comers to the art of hot glass. Artist for 30 some years in clay and mix-media, but now have been bitten by the glass bug. I am involved with a commissiom work that entails gluing on relief fused glass to a glass backing and I used what my glass supplier suggested which was a laminated gl on gl glue. useless since 3 weeks after installing the piece on the wall a few of the smaller fused pieces fell on the floor breaking in front of the buyers eyes...not good for confidence so I am re-doing the whole piece. Now what is the best adhesive to use outside of UV glue ..too pricey for now. Read lots of debate over what one adhesive is the most reliable. Sorry for the winded reply. Val
I like plain old Silicone. Non-toxic, cheap, long lasting, available everywhere, holds a lot of weight, easy to use, etc,. etc, Brock
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

like he said. with smaller pieces glued on a large one there are probably expansion issues with heating/cooling. whatever glue i think it needs some flex like silicone. rosanna