HELP it's stuck

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Betty

HELP it's stuck

Post by Betty »

First slump and the glass is stuck to the mold. I kilned washed it and let it dry 2 days and the glass is stuck.

I have put it in water to soak is there anything else i can do?

Betty
kelly alge

Post by kelly alge »

what kind of mold?

you could fire it upside down to try & sag it off the mold (not wet though)

two days might not be long enough if it's a porous mold & the humidity is high.
kelly alge

"An ordinary life is a crime" -eric schmider
dee

Re: HELP it's stuck

Post by dee »

Betty wrote:First slump and the glass is stuck to the mold. I kilned washed it and let it dry 2 days and the glass is stuck.

I have put it in water to soak is there anything else i can do?

Betty
betty - did it slump down over the bottom edges of the mold? i screwed up a firing schedule once and had the glass come down under the bottom edges and i had to turn it upside down and slump it back off the mold - i don't think soaking in water is gonna do anything - if you properly kilnwashed the mold it's not that - dry it for several days and then try slumping upside down...

even living in the southeast, 2 days drying in our humidity is generally fine, especially at this time of year....

D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Steve Immerman

Questions

Post by Steve Immerman »

Ceramic or stainless steel mold?

What temperature did you slump at?

What shape is the mold? Is the glass adherent to the surface, or trapped by the shape?

Steve
Betty

Post by Betty »

It is a pours pottery mold in the shape of a drinking glass. 5.5" tall and in the freezer at the moment. idea from the place i by the molds.

I was thinking about trying to make another mold using this mold as a shape, guess i need to find out how to make molds.

Betty
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

The thing to remember about ceramic molds is that ceramic doesn't expand and contract as fast as glass. So if the glass is on the outside of the ceramic, it will capture the ceramic and not let go.

If the freezer doesn't do it, then you should try one of the earlier suggestions and slumping the glass off the mold by reheating with the mold inverted.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun