Applying for a Pilchuk Scholarship

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Karen Laing

Applying for a Pilchuk Scholarship

Post by Karen Laing »

I am interested in applying for a Pilchuk Scholarship to study under Klaus Moje this summer. To have the opportunity to study under him would be wonderful!!

I was wondering if someone who may have applied for one before could give some words of wisdom to share with me prior to my sending in my slides and application. Thanks, kl
Karen Laing aka arcticlass
Brock

Re: Applying for a Pilchuk Scholarship

Post by Brock »

arcticlass wrote:I am interested in applying for a Pilchuk Scholarship to study under Klaus Moje this summer. To have the opportunity to study under him would be wonderful!!

I was wondering if someone who may have applied for one before could give some words of wisdom to share with me prior to my sending in my slides and application. Thanks, kl
It's all about the work. That's it! Brock
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

I was thinking of sending in an application for that same class . . . I drooled on the page all day when the catalog arrived.

Now, lets see here - Eenie meeny miney moe . . .

Brock, Morgan was just saying how she missed you terribly and would love to come visit for ummm . . . 18 days or so this summer. I'll send her in the little Hawaiian shirt and get her all kinds of colored glasses - oh yeah, and a knapsack full of money? [-o<
Brock

Post by Brock »

Brock, Morgan was just saying how she missed you terribly and would love to come visit for ummm . . . 18 days or so this summer. I'll send her in the little Hawaiian shirt and get her all kinds of colored glasses - oh yeah, and a knapsack full of money?

I miss Morgan too! That class will almost certainly have more than 200 applicants. I was going to apply to be a TA, but I'm on the road. Brock
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Avery, Morgan was just saying how she missed you terribly and would love to come visit for ummm . . . 18 days or so this summer. She said she'd like to go to animal shelters with you and have a fund raiser for an endangered animal fund- oh yeah, and I'll send her with a knapsack full of money?
[-o<
Brock

Post by Brock »

Hah! Avery's on the road too. I feel like a hot rock. Brock
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Amy, Morgan was just saying how she missed you terribly and would love to come visit for ummm . . . 18 days or so this summer. She wonders what to do with the litter of Mastiff puppies she's found and hoped maybe you could help her. - oh yeah, and I'll send her with a knapsack full of money?
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

(Oh goodie, there's Doc Steve)

Steve, Morgan was just saying how she missed you terribly and would love to come visit for ummm . . . 18 days or so this summer. She wonders if you're eating lunch daily and would love to fix it for you every day. - oh yeah, and I'll send her with a knapsack - could you please fill it full of money?
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

I was wondering if someone who may have applied for one before could give some words of wisdom to share with me prior to my sending in my slides and application. Thanks, kl[/quote]

There will be many submissions for scholorships. Ive applied several times and once got a partical scholorship. The work and professional images of that work are what will count.
Funny....Just filled out my application to take that very class, along with the submission for scholorship. I would suspect Ted from Bullseye will be TA for the class, but Ive applied for that also. XXX your fingers
Pam Hrycyk

Post by Pam Hrycyk »

Jackie Beckman wrote:(Oh goodie, there's Doc Steve)

Steve, Morgan was just saying how she missed you terribly and would love to come visit for ummm . . . 18 days or so this summer. She wonders if you're eating lunch daily and would love to fix it for you every day. - oh yeah, and I'll send her with a knapsack - could you please fill it full of money?
Uhmph! You mean she doesn't want to come to Canada! I'm insulted.

Pam
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Pam Hrycyk wrote:
Jackie Beckman wrote:(Oh goodie, there's Doc Steve)

Uhmph! You mean she doesn't want to come to Canada! I'm insulted.

Pam
Of course she does Pammy! I was just waiting for Doc Steve's knapsack of money to send along with her. Truth be told, she just got through saying how she misses you terribly and would love to come visit you this summer for ummm, about 18 days or so . . .
Brock

Post by Brock »

Brock wrote:
arcticlass wrote:I am interested in applying for a Pilchuk Scholarship to study under Klaus Moje this summer. To have the opportunity to study under him would be wonderful!!

That may have been a little terse, and then the thread kind of unravelled, so . . . Pilchuck views what they are teaching as art. They want people to make art with glass. They will not necessarily be impressed with just technique. Your slides should be professionally shot, (or appear to be) and you should show your very best work. I don't know anything about you, or what you do, but Pilchuck is not the place to take your first fusing class. This class with Klaus will be self-directed to a large degree and if you are new to fusing I think a course somewhere else may serve you better. Pilchuck is a BIG commitment in time and money, and to get the most out of it, you should be ready for it.

If you are ready for it, go. It can be one of the most intense and memorable experiences of your life. Brock
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Brock wrote:
Brock wrote:

That may have been a little terse, and then the thread kind of unravelled, so . . . Pilchuck views what they are teaching as art. They want people to make art with glass. They will not necessarily be impressed with just technique. Your slides should be professionally shot, (or appear to be) and you should show your very best work. I don't know anything about you, or what you do, but Pilchuck is not the place to take your first fusing class. This class with Klaus will be self-directed to a large degree and if you are new to fusing I think a course somewhere else may serve you better. Pilchuck is a BIG commitment in time and money, and to get the most out of it, you should be ready for it.

If you are ready for it, go. It can be one of the most intense and memorable experiences of your life. Brock
Brock said it well. I was trying to formulate that idea, but not coming up with the words.

I once applied to a juried class at Pilchuck and was first on the waiting list, and got in. It was BIG FUN. Keep trying.

I did much of my glass education at Haystack school which was the inspriation for Pilchuck. I always managed to make it well worth my while with the improvement in my work and techniques. Pilchuck is an eye opener.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Karen Laing

Post by Karen Laing »

Thanks Bert and Brock & Doug for your feedback. kl

Bert,
I went to the Haystack site and their summer info isn't out yet.
Karen Laing aka arcticlass
Brock

Post by Brock »

arcticlass wrote:Thanks Bert and Brock & Doug for your feedback. kl

Bert,
I went to the Haystack site and their summer info isn't out yet.
Pilchuck WAS based on Haystack, but unfortunately there is no kiln work courses there, as yet. Brock
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

I can't say how they actually decide on who gets a scolarship. I do know that the number of scholarships available last year was lower than in previous years, just because of the economy and lower donations. Many scholarship positions are taken by students at schools that participate in a partnership arrangement with Pilchuck.

I didn't know before I spent some time there that anybody can apply for a TA position. Some instructors find their own TA's outside of the Pilchuck application process. Otherwise, instructors are sent slides of those that apply to be TA's of their class, and they choose. I felt like there were some TA's there last summer that had less range than much of the work I see on this board.

If you want to go, and may be able to pay, my recommendation is that you stay flexible and try for a range of classes. They will make arrangements for payment plans if they need to fill a class. If you don't get in, call them and tell them you'll take classes that you didn't at first apply for. Last summer, I got into a class first session after first being turned down. During that session they announced some room in a class fourth session, so three of us that were there came back. Then I was chosen to be a TA for fifth session, (because of an emergency cancelation).

As Brock said, hundreds of people are going to apply for Moje's class. I wouldn't be surprised if it's more like 600. All of the classes will be good and it's as much the atmosphere of the place, and the cross polination between classes that make it special. Look at Janusz Walentynowicz' class -- you'll get kiln casting and hot casting. I met John Reyntiens last summer when he was taking neon and I was in a hot casting class. He's a riot if you're interested in architectural and leaded techniques. A couple of the neon classes had empty spaces last summer. I bet the King/Tschida class will be be fantastic.

ch
Brock

Post by Brock »

We, (BCGAA) have had a Pilchuck Scholarship since 1988. We were just informed that we will get it only every 2 years from now on, as will everybody else, because of demand. As Charlie said, Pilchuck has partnership scholarships with many, many schools and organizations.

Charlie, I think you will be closer to the number of applicants than I.

That TA thing is a constant problem. Many times I have been in classes there and students were far more knowledgeable than the TA's. It really isn't Piilchuck's fault, they can only choose from who applies for the position, although I know there is sometimes a little, shall we say, cronyism and recruitment. I hope Doug Randall gets the TA position, it would be good to have someone there with practical experience.

I totally agree with Charlie about the cross-pollination, that's a huge aspect of the experience. I've beem there 8 times, 4 scholarships and been an Artists Assistant. I probably will never go as a student again,
but I encourage anyone interested to look into it. Brock
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Brock wrote:We, (BCGAA) have had a Pilchuck Scholarship since 1988. We were just informed that we will get it only every 2 years from now on, as will everybody else, because of demand. As Charlie said, Pilchuck has partnership scholarships with many, many schools and organizations.

Charlie, I think you will be closer to the number of applicants than I.

That TA thing is a constant problem. Many times I have been in classes there and students were far more knowledgeable than the TA's. It really isn't Piilchuck's fault, they can only choose from who applies for the position, although I know there is sometimes a little, shall we say, cronyism and recruitment. I hope Doug Randall gets the TA position, it would be good to have someone there with practical experience.

I totally agree with Charlie about the cross-pollination, that's a huge aspect of the experience. I've beem there 8 times, 4 scholarships and been an Artists Assistant. I probably will never go as a student again,
but I encourage anyone interested to look into it. Brock
Thanks, that was kind of you to say Brock..and too true, corporate/collegent friendships and cronyism take presidence when it comes to chosing TA's, scholorships and AIR's. All I have to give is my lifetime of glass knowledge and skills. But true, the Pilchuck experience is beyond learning process and techniques, its about building relationships and doing real work that will enhance your career. It's not about the class your taking at all....last year I spent only about 50% of my time in the class that I had applied for....the rest of the time was a self study of printmaking, engraving and building on my coldworking skills. Pilchuck is a serious endevor, and certainly not a like a stay at some fancy resort. One must be both physically and mentally prepared for a session there. Mosquitos, spiders and cold showers are all part of the fun!
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey guys: I sent my app in to Pilchuk a couple days ago and am willing to pay. Just so happens that I picked Moje first and then Reyntiens second. When they say "lottery" do they mean that they will just put my name in a hat and hopefully I get picked??? Do they pick first for Moje and then again for Reyntiens?? Is it bad that I didn't have a third pick?? So am I hearing right that if they let me know that I wasn't picked, I can keep pestering them to let me in if there is a cancellation??
Any tips would help cuz I REALLY want to go.
Thanks K
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
Brock

Post by Brock »

Mosquitos, spiders and cold showers are all part of the fun!

Don't forget bears and hangovers. Oh yeah, and the walk up the hill. Brock