Large Kiln Shelves - Help!!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

J. Allison

Large Kiln Shelves - Help!!

Post by J. Allison »

I have a large L&L kiln that requires a shelf 28" x 42" to fuse large contiguous pieces. Does anyone know what i can use for a kiln shelf that wil not crack, warp and can hold up to say 80 lbs?
jolly

Post by jolly »

Seattle Pottery sells something called 'N' board which is some kind of fiber and comes in 36 x 48 x 1 inch. I put kiln wash on it and use it all the time. Seattle Pottery is listed in the resources area on this site. -Jolly
Bert Weiss

Re: Large Kiln Shelves - Help!!

Post by Bert Weiss »

J. Allison wrote:I have a large L&L kiln that requires a shelf 28" x 42" to fuse large contiguous pieces. Does anyone know what i can use for a kiln shelf that wil not crack, warp and can hold up to say 80 lbs?
My suggestion is Unifrax HD board 1". Thermal Ceramics makes a comparable product, although I think that it doesn't come in 48" and the Unifrax does.

I sugggest using it right on the floor.

I recently heard about a product that works as a rigidizing kiln wash. I won't have the details until next week.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Jeri D

Post by Jeri D »

Please keep us posted on large shelf alternatives. My fiberfrax board is falling apart and I can't really sand it and fill it with kilnwash anymore
Jeri