per-transaction credit card fees?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

MarlaS

per-transaction credit card fees?

Post by MarlaS »

hi....can't remember if i saw the info posted here (or on forums for my day job), but can anyone tell me what companies will process credit cards and only charge a transaction fee? ....and not require investment in any equipment?

thanks....marla
Larry Lunsford

Post by Larry Lunsford »

Hi.

I'm using Discover. They charge $.44 + 3% for MC and Visa and $.10 + 2.57% for Discover. No monthly charges.

The only equipment I needed to buy was a manual card imprinter (about $40 for imprinter and shipping). I suppose you could get by without even that.

Discover is at 800-347-7996.

So far, I haven't had any problems. Been using them since July.

Larry
MarlaS

Post by MarlaS »

thanks, larry!
Arlene from Poway

per-transaction credit card fees

Post by Arlene from Poway »

Just started the same ( Discover Financial ) sales increased right away. You CAN get away without the knucklebuster, just write them by hand, or check the dreaded EBAY for a used machine.

Arlene
aka fuser
Barbara Silverberg

Post by Barbara Silverberg »

I, too, use the Discover Program. It's great for those of us who don't sell as often. I also got a business credit card and a small business checking account to keep any transactions separate from household stuff. I check my banking on-line and can easily see when the credit card transactions have been deposited into my account.
Dolores

Post by Dolores »

Ditto, ditto! At my first show using Discover Biz, 95% of my sales were credit card! My business manager decided that I had made an excellent decision for once and it couldn't have been more easy or convenient.

DOLORES
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

You lucky, lucky people!

Here in the UK, I'm just going through the process of getting set up to accept card payments as I find visitors to the museum where my studio is, don't come carrying a sack of gold but they do have cards.

Sooo... here's the break with the Bank of Scotland;

One-time set up fee; £150 (US$277)

Monthly rental of electronic terminal; £18.95 (US$35)

Minimum monthly billing; £22.50 (US$42)

Per transaction; £0.45 (US$0.83) and 2.8%

I get a knuckle buster issued for free, in the event that the power goes off.

So that's the set up in not just a developed, but what often seems like an over-developed country!
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
Elizabeth in UK

Post by Elizabeth in UK »

Paul - that seems quite a high monthly fee. Have you asked several processing companies or just the one?
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Marla:

I am using Card member services. There is no monthly fee and what is so great is that when I take a credit card - I just run it through my computer using microsoft b central credit card processing (I have a shopping cart on my web site so no equipment needed). So not only can customers buy direct online from my website - if someone buys at a show or from the studio I just go online. I do not remember the transaction fees....
Kim
MarlaS

Post by MarlaS »

kim, would you be able to send me contact info? i'd appreciate it!!
marla
watershed

Post by watershed »

Has anyone tried:
I have a POS terminal set up from a previous venture, never used. Has anyone tried to get their companies to accept a (they don't get the markup) machine?

Greg
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Elizabeth in UK wrote:Paul - that seems quite a high monthly fee. Have you asked several processing companies or just the one?
Just the one Elizabeth but your recommendation would be appreciated...
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
Elizabeth in UK

Post by Elizabeth in UK »

We got quotes from several companies and settled for Barclaycard Merchant Services
0870 60 600 60
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Marla: The website is http://www.cardservice.com/
Good Luck!
Kim
Terry Ow-Wing

Post by Terry Ow-Wing »

watershed wrote:Has anyone tried:
I have a POS terminal set up from a previous venture, never used. Has anyone tried to get their companies to accept a (they don't get the markup) machine?

Greg
I find it always cheaper to have bought the machine NOT from the credit card service people. My husband has dealt with buying and selling different machines for artist. The trick is to know what machines your Merchant Service Provider will support. THey may support only certain models.

Good luck.
Terry Ow-Wing Designs
Kilnformed and Lampworked Glass Art
http://GlassArt.weebly.com
JackHealy

Post by JackHealy »

Another option is Costco small business services for those that are members. We use their internet processing service. A simple software install, info input, and short tutorial later and you are processing Visa/MC online without the need for equipment.
Jack Healy
Glass Artists Gallery
Seattle, WA

Click here to visit the Glass Artists Gallery website