sagging 1/2" float glass (problems...)

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

fabio

sagging 1/2" float glass (problems...)

Post by fabio »

We are having problems with 1/2" float glass pieces used as all glass lav; after the process of sagging and cooling we verify straight lines (like grooves, stretched) only on the surface of the sink . They are a little difficult to see, but easy to touch. Could anyone help me here?
Bert Weiss

Re: sagging 1/2" float glass (problems...)

Post by Bert Weiss »

fabio wrote:We are having problems with 1/2" float glass pieces used as all glass lav; after the process of sagging and cooling we verify straight lines (like grooves, stretched) only on the surface of the sink . They are a little difficult to see, but easy to touch. Could anyone help me here?
Fabio

In order to help you, we need more information about what your firing schedule was. I think that a sink should be made with 3/4" thick glass. 1/2" is a bit light, especially if you stretch it out a lot. Are you firing tin side down? What kind of mold? Is it just a bowl or a bowl and countertop?
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Try glass from a different source. It could be glass cords that are showing up when you melt the glass again.
Kevin