wholesale crafts.com, input?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Dolores

wholesale crafts.com, input?

Post by Dolores »

Hello fellow glassiers. I'm still in the process of checking out various outlets for possible future participation and was wondering if any of you out there have any experience/comments/or inside scoops on wholesalecrafts.com? I was able to check out their website with a temporary password, but it didn't seem to be too full (151 artists listed so far). Do these sort of online services really bring in new customers? I would hate to think that I was merely supporting some web business' existance instead of my own :roll: . Also, what venue did you find works best for marketing glass and/or jewelry work. Any input or opinion is appreciated.

DOLORES
Beth S

Post by Beth S »

Delores~ I have also been wanting to post this question as I am also on the verge of signing up with them. Check out the site statistics page on their site. They appear to currently have 694 artists signed up with them.
Beth S
Dolores

Post by Dolores »

Yo, Beth, I stand corrected! I was going off of what I could see listed on their browsing page and it probably didn't include all the "premium" artist pages. Any one else out there try this yet? I'm really burning with curiousity and will probably ask on the crafts report board.

DOLORES
ernest porcelli

wholesalecrafts .com

Post by ernest porcelli »

nice people to work with ,the thing i found about their site was you the artist have to work the site meaning you have to up date your photos frequently to be on the new works pages, i didn't have the time needed to work it, got not enough orders from them . had lots of inquires from the group ads, really think doing the wholesale shows is the more direct method for selling your work ep
-EP
Dani

Post by Dani »

I've heard great things from artists who have used the site.... but, they are true pros and it is only one part of their marketing plan and as mentioned earlier, they stay on top of it and really work it. In fact, a friend stopped by today and mentioned that an artist she sells, Nancy Goodenough, has done well there. I think for the affordable cost, it's worth the gamble.
Marty

Post by Marty »

It didn't work for me (back in stained glass days) but I have friends who've done very well with them. Keep the product easy to "read", the price points reasonable, make sure you can make multiples, and don't use the word "unique" in your copy.

Marty
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Do the words "average and ordinary work?"

LOL.

Geri
Dolores

Post by Dolores »

Ha, ha Geri! How about "duplicated ad nauseum by request"? Hey, now THAT sounds like quality! :lol: Just got my cherished Crafts report and Wholesale Crafts has a multi-page spread. Looks good at least. Many thanks to you who have responded so far!

DOLORES
dee

Re: wholesale crafts.com, input?

Post by dee »

Dolores wrote:Hello fellow glassiers. I'm still in the process of checking out various outlets for possible future participation and was wondering if any of you out there have any experience/comments/or inside scoops on wholesalecrafts.com? I was able to check out their website with a temporary password, but it didn't seem to be too full (151 artists listed so far). Do these sort of online services really bring in new customers? I would hate to think that I was merely supporting some web business' existance instead of my own :roll: . Also, what venue did you find works best for marketing glass and/or jewelry work. Any input or opinion is appreciated.

DOLORES
i am using wholesalecrafts.com as my entry into wholesale until i am ready to do wholesale shows. have been with them 1.5 yrs and it has paid for itself in orders. now they have set it up that you can upload all your images yourself so you can put your entire wholesale line on there w/o paying per image. you do need to periodically update your section and add new but any website needs regular care and feeding. i would recommend them when you are ready to start wholesaling but make sure you have all your ducks in a row first as far as pricing, terms, etc
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Debinsandiego

Keep the minimum order low

Post by Debinsandiego »

Hi folks.

I just had a retailer ask me if I was on http://www.wholesalecrafts.com, she said I should be, then bought some of my art anyway!! So I ran back to my PC to see what the folks on this board have said about the site.

Anyway, this retailer suggested I get on there and she suggested I keep my minimum order low. She said she buys from there all the time but usually she buys in lower quantities, say under $200 or $300. If the work sells, then she will go back and buy more, if not, then she isn't out too much cash.
Deborah
Deb Libby

Post by Deb Libby »

I was with WSC.com during it's second year in operation and, as someone else here mentioned, you have to constantly (every 3 months or so) submit new slides, new product in order to stay in the front pages of the website. They were very nice to work with, however, it didn't work for me .... I didn't keep submitting new slides every three months so I kept sliding further and further back into the numerous pages of artist's work.