Float Slump feels like sandpaper on the bottom (HELP!)

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

pclark

Float Slump feels like sandpaper on the bottom (HELP!)

Post by pclark »

Last night I slumped a piece of float into a 16" steel wok. The slump went fine but, when I picked up the glass there is a rough feeling on the bottom of it almost like sand. It is not smooth at all. I used the kiln was that comes with Paragon kilns and brushed it on a hot wok. I also sandblasted the suface of the wok before applying the kiln wash. Any ideas super heros? I thought of two things. Maybe I still had some silica carbide in the bottom of the kiln or maybe the kiln was is crappy. Please help. Thanks...
If at first you don't succeed try again. If that doesn't work pay someone to fix it for you : )
Brock

Post by Brock »

Slump at the lowest possible temp. that will work. That way you will pick up the least texture from your mold. If the texture was already there, from a fuse firing, prep your shelves better, and fuse at the lowest possible temp. that will work. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Bert Weiss

Re: Float Slump feels like sandpaper on the bottom (HELP!)

Post by Bert Weiss »

pclark wrote:Last night I slumped a piece of float into a 16" steel wok. The slump went fine but, when I picked up the glass there is a rough feeling on the bottom of it almost like sand. It is not smooth at all. I used the kiln was that comes with Paragon kilns and brushed it on a hot wok. I also sandblasted the suface of the wok before applying the kiln wash. Any ideas super heros? I thought of two things. Maybe I still had some silica carbide in the bottom of the kiln or maybe the kiln was is crappy. Please help. Thanks...
If you fire with the tin side down, you will avoid that effect. I am assuming that you are slumping somewhere below 1300ºF. The rough thing usually happens at higher temps. I try and stay closer to 1420 than 1480 for my top temp in any process. Tin side down!!
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
pclark

I forgot!

Post by pclark »

You know what? I forgot all about the tin side. I am all used to bullseye and forgot about the tin side of float. I am usually only sandblasting it not sluping. I will try again with tin side down. I will also slow try and slump at a little lower temp.

Thanks for the info fellas!
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

I have experienced some of the same thing with my mini pot melts. There seems to be an almost not visable to the naked eye coating of kiln wash stuck to the back of the melt that gives it an unpleasant texture. I eliminate this by using a 120 grit Dremel flap sander over the surface in contact with the shelf. I wear a respirator for this operation as visable dust is produced by the sander. This leaves the surface with a smooth feel and a slight pre polish sheen.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas