Lava Cloth

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Vickie

Lava Cloth

Post by Vickie »

Just saw an add for a new thing called Lava Cloth. It has some interesting texture to it to add to the bottom of your fusing project. It will take up to 10 (I think) uses, before you toss it. You fuse right on it, thus eliminating the need for kiln wash. Has anyone used it yet? It's not very expensive, around $3-4 for a decent size piece. Thoughts please?
Thanks,
Vickie
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

This topic just came up a few weeks ago.

http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... light=lava

Ron
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Vickie,

I've been using it for about 9 months and I love the texture it gives. It has some idiosynchracies that you need to get used to like having to weight down the edges so it doesn't curl your glass while it's cooling, but one you get used to it it works great. I think I was getting between 10 and 12 firings on a single piece.

Tony

The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
tom suter

Post by tom suter »

I have been using it for the bottom sides of coasters and I got about 10 firing out of mine before it ripped in pieces. What I like to know is where did you find some cheap at. I saw one place that was 4" x 6" for like $60 I think. I got enough to cover a 20 inch shelf one more time and need to get some more for myself.
Tom
Head Fool @ Tom's Foolery
http://www.picturetrail.com/tomsfoolery
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Marty Daily at Centre DeVerre is carrying it now in three different weights. Click on his sponsor link above.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun