Tindicator problem

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Keith Barnett

Tindicator problem

Post by Keith Barnett »

As a newcomer to glass art I'm just using float glass to get started until I know what I'm doing. I've made a tindicator from a 6v torch using black light blue fluro. I've cut a 5 mm slit in the plastic lens and covered the rest of the lens up with black tape. I waited 'till dark, turned on the torch with the glass at a 45 degree angle and looked at it from above. NOTHING! Both sides looked the same. I did this with 3 different bits of glass and still couldn't see any difference. Where have I gone wrong :?: Cheers, Keith.
Cheers,

Keith.
Firetail Glass,
Qld, Australia.
charlie

Post by charlie »

you have the wrong type of uv bulb in it. you need a short wave uv (germicidal) one.
Colin & Helen

Post by Colin & Helen »

Hello Keith...I made one using the correct globe... and just couldn't see any deference..so in the end gave up...Colin

PS You could check out Rosanna's thread in spab's place this may help!!
jolly

Post by jolly »

You could also try using a brillo pad or steel wool and soap and scrub both sides- one side is usually noticably rougher- which I have always assumed is the tin side. I suppose I should taste it to make sure. slurp, Jolly
Nelson Tan

Post by Nelson Tan »

Bought the germicidal UV lamp from maxmax.com

remove the clear plastic cover before using. We can see the tin side without the 45 degree angle and no dark room needed.

Nelson
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

That's an important point that many people don't know about (including manufacturers). Many plastics that are commonly used for lenses do not transmit short wave UV light.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Thanks for the link Nelson. After much frustration I ended up with a 4' flouro which I then had to insert into a length of PVC pipe. Because of all the health warnings regarding this light I only made a small slit in the pipe which shields me and directs the light downwards onto the glass I place under it. It's ugly but it works. - haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Keith Barnett

Post by Keith Barnett »

Many thanks for all your help. My tongue failed the tin taste test so I guess I'll have to track down a germicidal lamp. If anyone in Australia knows where I can get one I'd like to hear from them. Cheers, Keith.
Cheers,

Keith.
Firetail Glass,
Qld, Australia.