Sierra Kiln, 4 steps only

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

ruthelf1030

Sierra Kiln, 4 steps only

Post by ruthelf1030 »

Hi, old Sierra kiln, new to me, excellent shape-1 years old only:
Still dazed and confused here, but I have been reading and searching
the threads, so, here goes. Ramp rate is set at factory for the first 3 programs and CANNot be changed by me.
1st program: Ramp rate set at (unknown), to 1650 F for 10 m, leave kiln shut and cool by itself. I changed this to 1110 F for 30 minutes, no ramp
down option is available. This is for PMC+/PMC3, and cubic zircs and Dichro cabs so a string of the silver clay can be put over the top without
breakage. Syringe PMC clay, slip, etc.

2nd program: Slo ramp rate see at factory at 1500 F/hour (seems fast).
goes to 1470 F for 30 minutes, no peek I suppose, natural cool. Used for small glass cabs, Pmc+/PmC3, ceramic pices, brass (?).

3rd program: Full ramp rate (unknown-preset), to 1650 F for 2 hours and
then natural cool. Shrink is 30%-standard PMC-no glass/inclusions.;
None of the above mention crash cool in my poor directions.
Now for programming the 4th programming segment, the one which has me baffled - the new Sierra's come with 8 segments now which I assume would be better.
My Question with this controller (cannot find out who made/designed)
For the 6 inch pattern bar maker, I am going to try this, after reading the
threads, keeping in mind from my previous post that I have a fiber kiln, but instead of using the fiber board shelf that came with it, I am using the heavy and dense mullite that I was enlightened about on the previous post
and which it was decided would hold heat for longer (less cracking on the way down). Since my directions with the kiln are really challenging (or I am having a real attack of extreme densicity of the brain), I am going to try this with my 6 inch pattern bar mold: 90COE BE opaque-clear-Wasser.

1. Ramp speed up 1500 F, DPH, to 1550 F, hold 20 minutes. crash to 1110F.
2. Ramp speed down (doesn't say I can go down I am assuming) will be say about 250 F per hour to 990 F from the 1110 F crash cool point.
Time to hold there please? maybe half an hour?
3. Ramp speed down from 990 F at about 100 F per hour to 700 F and hold what, 15 minutes or so?
4. Ramp speed down from 700 F at about 100 F per hour to 400 F, hold
10 minutes or so because I do not know how to stop this system and
this #4 is my last choice.
Putting in "0" for number #4 stops everything at #3.
Make any sense to anyone out there.
Many thanks to anyone who might answer!
RuthElf
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

http://www.pmcconnection.com/hints/sierraKiln.htm

Still looking for more information

Ron