Using a ceramic kiln for glass...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kevin K

Using a ceramic kiln for glass...

Post by Kevin K »

I purchased a used Evenheat ceramic kiln (a great deal I couldn't turn down), and would like to use it for glass fusing. I plan on purchasing a 3 button controller/pyrometer for it. There are 4 elements in the side and none in the lid. I have read the reasons why an element in the lid is better for glass, but I have also read that people use these kilns for glass with little or no troubles. Is it possible to cut a channel in the lid and move one of the elements from the side to the top? I also read somewhere about people using a baffle? An explanation of the baffle stuff and any advice or tips on retrofitting this kiln would be greatly appreciated. I am completely new to fusing, so it might be better if you're pretending to explain this to a 5 year old. :)
Dani

Post by Dani »

My kilns are side-firing ceramic kilns. I'd suggest you try it the way it is first and see if it doesn't do the job just fine for you. They if you're not satisfied, buy another top-firing one. I still haven't found an overwhelming need to buy a top-firing kiln, but that's due to the nature of my work which is largely painted, but otherwise pretty straightforward.
KILN-TEC

Post by KILN-TEC »

Kevin:
I also use side element ceramic kilns for glass work. I ramp up a little slower, hold to let the heat even out at 1050 degrees ( Spectrum 96) and fuse or slump with no problem. It depends on what you are trying to do.
It's hard to do anything with FRIT or ClearCapping without top elements as you need heat directed from the top. Also, since the kilns are toploading, I lose too much heat for raking techniques.
Check out my wife's work at http://www.artnglasstudio.com., all done with ceramic kilns.
Rich KILN-TEC
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Thanks for the comments and advice, Dani and Rich.

Now could someone please explain this baffle-n-go stuff?