Peep Holes in Kiln Question - Jen Ken G11-E

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

reneewri

Peep Holes in Kiln Question - Jen Ken G11-E

Post by reneewri »

Does anyone have the side peephole in their kiln? I have a new Jen-Ken G-11E. There is intense heat coming from the peep hole area. I can hold my hand about 6 inches away for 15-20 seconds before I have to move it away. Is this normal, or is this possibly why I cannot get my kiln up to 1500? Thank you for any help! Renee
Glass Rainbows, Carrollton, GA
Jeri D

Post by Jeri D »

HI,
I have a Jen Ken oval 9 with the peep hole, which I love having. The heat coming from through the peephole includes infrared light and you really should wear infrared blocking glass or goggles to protect your eyes. I know it can sometimes be mesmerizing staring into the kiln, and I liked fireplaces too, but do protect your eyes.
Still peeping Jeri
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Are you talking peephole or viewing window?

Even with the peephole open you should still be able to get up to 1500F or even higher. I wonder if your wiring is adequate or if your elements are all firing up.

Are all the elements glowing red? Did you have the wiring done to meet the requirements of this kiln?

Didn't you get a plug to pop into the peephole?

More questions than answers. :roll:
reneewri

Had it wrong- Window not

Post by reneewri »

Hi! I guess my newness at this is showing! It is a window- not a peephole. It is on a 20 amp dedicated breaker and 12gaged wire wirh ground was used as specified in the manual. All the elements are glowing red. The intense heat is coming from the window area. Renee
Glass Rainbows, Carrollton, GA
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

If everything seems to be working as it should, there is the possibility that the temperature indication is incorrect. Pyrometers are not the most accurate things in the world.

If the interior of the kiln is orange when you peek in the window it is probably making temperautre but the thermocouple may be giving a false reading.

Let your kiln cool and try a few pieces of glass. Small pieces a few inches square are fine so you don't need to worry about firing too fast or annealing. You should see edges start to round over and smooth as you reach 1400-1450.

Ron