Sound , Frit and Crop Circles

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Tyler Frisby

Sound , Frit and Crop Circles

Post by Tyler Frisby »

This is guna sound kinda outa there but here goes,

I have a seen a set a video by a crazed soccer player turned conspiracy theorist and he had a experiment showing sound and it link to everything around us.

He had a peice of glass with white sand on it and was playin I think sine waves(60,65,70 Hertz) thru a large set or maybe one speaker to creates interesating patterns like crop circles sorta and even planets forming>(those were using iron fillings) on top of the glass.

I've never seen annything as cool !!!

I tried to recreate it in my garage but had no Success :(

I was using a Laptop with a sine wave generator I found on the net thru Google. I played the sine(s) thru a big ol' power amp I had at least twenty years old, but beefy. Signal went to Vintage 15' floor standing Cerwin Vegas. I know the amp nor speakers matter in result, its the technique that im interested in.

Do I sound like a wierd or does anyone heard of this ?

So I suspended a 19' opaque blue cirle (unfired 1/8') from my garage door opener using some string wrapped under the circle in 2 loops and (cross each other for stability) and hung it 1 or 2 inches from the speaker(1) lying flat on table. The red power and black fine Uro frit I used was moving arounf and bouncing in a kool fashing but coudn't get effect that I saw, anyone help.

:?: thanks for reading but wow if we get it it would be soo kool.

Imagine instant infanitely changing patterns on a suface the you could control by changing sine waves, (recording studio's would love it)

60 - 70 herts visually (way kool man)

Frisby out!
Tim Swann

Post by Tim Swann »

To excite the frit to move around try lacing the glass directly on the speaker. The string the suspended the glass will actually act to dampen out the vibration. If you cannot place the glass directly on the speaker try suspending the glass with something more ridged like wire or wood.

Tim
Mark Kemp

Post by Mark Kemp »

In a magazine I saw some little gadgets that attach directly to any surface, including glass, to turn the surface into a "speaker". It uses a metallic transducer of some sort, no magnets. Might work well for this purpose.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Some stringed instrument makers use this technique to figure out where the dead spots of the instrument are. Where the particles collect is where there is no movement. This simple test reveals very complex acoustic patterns, since live or dead areas are the result of wave interaction throughout the instrument, and not just a localized area. I have read of it being done with transducers, and with speakers.
Tyler Frisby

Post by Tyler Frisby »

thanks for the ideas, that speaker - glass thingy would bea good try. I think me hang it by string is a bad idea, im going to try another way.

Tyler
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Also, if you find this sort of stuff interesting you might research the Hafler Trio. Industrial "musicians" experimenting w/ sound. I remember that they once drilled a hole through a door by producing a single tone for an extreme period of time and other interesting discoveries.
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.