Stainless steel: what grade for molds?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lohman

Stainless steel: what grade for molds?

Post by lohman »

:?: There was a discussion recently about recommended grades of stainless steel for molds. Tried searching archives and the tutorial but couldn't find info. I want to have some molds made and want to tell fabricator what type of steel to use and what thickness to use for some drop-ring molds. Since cost might be a factor, (largest ring will be 28 " in diameter) what other kinds of steel can I use? I don't mind the scaling which will occur. I can deal with that. Thanks
Bert Weiss

Re: Stainless steel: what grade for molds?

Post by Bert Weiss »

lohman wrote::?: There was a discussion recently about recommended grades of stainless steel for molds. Tried searching archives and the tutorial but couldn't find info. I want to have some molds made and want to tell fabricator what type of steel to use and what thickness to use for some drop-ring molds. Since cost might be a factor, (largest ring will be 28 " in diameter) what other kinds of steel can I use? I don't mind the scaling which will occur. I can deal with that. Thanks
I use whatever standard stainless steel the fabricator has. My molds don't scale.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

request 316 Stainless Steel. It has higher temperature resistance than other grades of stainless steel and the high levels of nickel and molybdenum make it less prone to pitting.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Gil Reynolds

Post by Gil Reynolds »

I agree with Tony. We have all of our hand spun molds make out of 300 series - 18 gauge stainless.

Gil
Lia Howe

Post by Lia Howe »

I get some of my moulds from the dollar store. They rust up but I have never noticed any pitting. A light sanding and everything is clean again. Someone said that the rust can end up on my glass but it hasn't yet.Lia