Help with mold making -

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Mira

Help with mold making -

Post by Mira »

My sister had a baby. She sent me the baby's footprint pressed into plaster. I would like to use a silica mold material I got from C&R Loo and fill the footprint to be used as a mold. I'm wondering if the silica mold will release from the plaster casting or do I need some type of separator?
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Hell yes you need a separator!
When making a plaster to plaster(type) mold, I separate the two parts with a layer of vaseline that has been thinned w/ mineral spirits (I think). The thinner evaporates and leaves a nice thin layer of grease. Two layers just in case I missed a spot on the first layer.
You might want to practice once on something not so precious until you feel like you've got it because if you mess up, Plaster tends to stick to plaster and then both parts are destroyed if you try to separate them...
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

If you are new to working with plaster, it is very much worth your time and money to go to a ceramics supply store and get a simple book on making plaster molds and read it. It will save you many times its cost in time, frustration, clean up, materials and real money. Just looking at the pictures will help a lot.

Think of how many ways you can go wrong with a material that turns from a liquid into a rock. You can turn your clothes into rocks, your drain pipes into rocks, your tools, your skin, your lawn, ....

ch
Mira

Post by Mira »

Will take both of your advice. Fortunately, I had my sister send me a couple of samples, so I can afford to lose one.

Thanks again,
Mira
GatorGirl

Post by GatorGirl »

I use Murphy Oil Soap (as the separator) which can be found at any large supermarket. It has worked for me....and the price is right. Let me know if you try it.
watershed

Post by watershed »

PAM, yes Pam, and actually the generics work as well. The advantage is that with vaseline straight, you will pick up the smear marks.