Powder that adds bubbly form to float glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

chockadoo

Powder that adds bubbly form to float glass

Post by chockadoo »

I did a course about 2 years back and we used a white powder around the edge of our slump designs for float.

Does anyone know what that white powder could have been or perhaps what i could use to give an uneven look to the edges of float plates?

Cathy
Dayle Ann

Post by Dayle Ann »

My daughter uses baking soda very judiciously to add bubbles when she wants that effect. I haven't tried it myself yet-- I just learned how to keep bubbles OUT! :roll:

Probably others can give you details on how this is done. Then I can add it to my list of things to try someday.

Dayle Ann
Linda Denli

Post by Linda Denli »

Hi Cathy, I think you might mean Effotobolle powder which is available in lots of colours and creates a blistered bubble effect when it is sandwiched between two sheets of glass. the supplier says it is compatible with all kinds of glass but I have only tried it with clear Spectrum 96 brought up to full fuse temperature. Results are a bit hit and miss, sometimes it bubbles and sometimes it doesn't and sometimes you get lots of little bubbles and one huge one, but it is quite fun. You could also try sprinkling some bicarbonate of soda/baking powder between the layers of glass as this gives a similar effect.

Regards

Linda
Linda from London
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey that sounds cool!!! Where do you buy the Effotobolle powder??
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
chockadoo

cool

Post by chockadoo »

Thank you
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey Cathy:
Checked out your website and I love your signature bowl. I haven't done a lot with irid. In your description you say that the top layer is irid with the (I am assuming) yellow opal on top. Do you have any problems with the 2 fusing together??
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
chockadoo

Signature bowl

Post by chockadoo »

Hi Kathie,
I've fused lots of iridised pieces with dichroic, clear, and may colours so far without any problems. The Sun is the sunflower yellow bullseye colour. Only thing I would change is I would put a layer of clear between the iridised and the sun. I love the glossy effect of glass so wasn't as keen on the matted iridised feel. Its contrasting in texture which I guess makes it more interesting.

The only colours I have so far had problems with are the white and madri gra cranberry and clear. Out of 5 pieces 2 cracked badly and recracked after refusing. DOH!
Cathy
Linda Denli

Post by Linda Denli »

I got my Efotobolle powder from a supplier called Creative Glass and you can find them on http://www.creative-glass.com.

They have studios in the UK and Switzerland, but I'm not sure if they have a set-up in the US.

I haven't done it yet but I thought I'd try mixing some baking powder and coloured glass enamel together- just to see what happens - has anyone tried this??

Best wishes

Linda
Linda from London
chockadoo

Post by chockadoo »

Hi Linda,

My partner and I were thinking of trying the baking soda tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.

Kind regards
Cathy
pam l

Post by pam l »

I haven't tried baking soda and glass enamels with fusing yet, but with a torch the enamels get all bubbly and crusty. Kind of ancient looking. Bead artists have commented though that their baking soda beads seem really unstable and many crack. So maybe the baking soda needs to be "neutralized" at some point in the process.

pam l.