Help! Am trying to coat SS forms with kiln wash . . .

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

NiniB

Help! Am trying to coat SS forms with kiln wash . . .

Post by NiniB »

I'm a fair novice at slumping/draping glass and was trying to coat several stainless steel forms to use as draping molds. The Warm Glass book says to heat the molds to about 500F and then spray them with kiln wash - the water is supposed to evaporate on contact and the particulate to stay. However, when I try that, it looks like it's not covering enough. Anyone have any thoughts?
NiniB!
jerry flanary

Post by jerry flanary »

Be sure that you shake/stir often as you are spraying. Multiple layers.
j.

A lack of doubt doesn't lend certainty.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Be sure that you shake/stir often as you are spraying. Multiple layers.
j.

It's asking a great deal that things should appeal to your reason as well as your sense of the aesthetic. W. Somerset Maugham

Exactly. Multiple thin coats, preferably sprayed and you're good for years. Slumping molds don't require the kiln wash coating thickness that shelves rewuire because of the 300 - 400 degree difference in process
temperature.

Abrading the metal increases adhesion, sandblasting is best but anything helps, even steel wool. just try and get a "tooth" on the mold. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
NiniB

Post by NiniB »

Thanks so much!! I have a gray pad, but that's not giving enough of a tooth, so will go to something a little stronger.

If I'd been paying attention, I would have seen the post a couple of hours before mine on the same thing - sorry :?
NiniB!